POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : system in turbulence : Re: system in turbulence Server Time
5 Sep 2024 08:19:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: system in turbulence
From: Ron Parker
Date: 23 Apr 2001 11:32:54
Message: <slrn9e8ip8.3j5.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On Mon, 23 Apr 2001 17:06:17 +0200, KalleK wrote:

>> Perhaps I misunderstood the question, then.  Could you post an
>example
>> of what you're seeing (in a appropriate newsgroup)?
>>

>Ok, I posted a thread to povray.binaries.images:
>"turbulences vs. warp{turbulence} (40kbau)"
>to explain what my question is.

Ahh, I see it now.  Apparently the "wood" pattern does something special
with what we call "classic" turbulence that it does not do with a turbulence
warp.  I suspect the idea was to make turbulated wood look more like real
wood by modifying the turbulence function somewhat.  Of course, whoever
made that change was not expecting you to look at the end of an entire log
with such a severe colour map.

It's possible that this feature was documented at some point, but the
documentation appears to have disappeared.  The idea that turbulence is
special for wood appears to have been in POV-Ray for at least 10 years
now, and this is the first time I've heard of it.  I suppose the more
archaeologically minded among us could look at old documentation and
try to divine the purpose of this feature, but it's unlikely that it'll
go away any time soon.

My opinions.  Mine.  Not anyone else's.