POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Porting between versions Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:36:21 EDT (-0400)
  Porting between versions (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Dawn McKnight
Subject: Porting between versions
Date: 10 Dec 2000 22:08:26
Message: <3A344529.80DF4A50@mac.com>
Hi, gang.

I normally use POV-Ray v3.1g for Macintosh, but because I need to render
a bunch of images, and I figure the Sun Enterprise 220R at work is
probably going to do that faster, and with less interference with my
daily computer use, I've been trying to get that to work.

I downloaded (with my sysop's assistance) the SunOS binary, and he
installed it.  Now, it'll open the file and start to read it, but when
it gets to my first #local definition, it complains.  I should note that
this .inc file works fine under both Mac and Windows versions of POVRay.

Is the #local statement not supported under the SunOS version, or is
there a file that hasn't been properly installed, or.... what?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Post a reply to this message

You make it sound like Macs are slow. You must have an older model. The Sun
may not be faster if many people are using it. But if you have sole access,
then it will be quite zippy. :-)
______
David McCabe
dav### [at] maccom
http://homepage.mac.com/davidmccabe/index.htm
Jesus loves you!

On Sun, 10 Dec 2000 20:08:25 -0700, Dawn McKnight wrote:
>Hi, gang.
>
>I normally use POV-Ray v3.1g for Macintosh, but because I need to render
>a bunch of images, and I figure the Sun Enterprise 220R at work is
>probably going to do that faster, and with less interference with my
>daily computer use, I've been trying to get that to work.
>
>I downloaded (with my sysop's assistance) the SunOS binary, and he
>installed it.  Now, it'll open the file and start to read it, but when
>it gets to my first #local definition, it complains.  I should note that
>this .inc file works fine under both Mac and Windows versions of POVRay.
>
>Is the #local statement not supported under the SunOS version, or is
>there a file that hasn't been properly installed, or.... what?

You might open the file in a text editor like vi and have a look
to see if it has Ctrl-M characters at the end of every line.

I think Warp uses a Sun so he'll be able to tell you of any system
specific issues.

There are others out there too who use Sun so you're not alone,
it may have been better to post this in the povray.unix group,
it may also be an idea to have a look in there to see if there's
been other occurences of the problem that you're having.

Is the include file in the same directory as the .pov file, or
is the include file in the include-file-path?

--
Cheers
Steve              email mailto:ste### [at] zeroppsuklinuxnet

web http://www.zeropps.uklinux.net/

or  http://start.at/zero-pps

  8:17am  up 61 days, 10:42,  3 users,  load average: 1.00, 1.00, 1.00

Post a reply to this message

> I normally use POV-Ray v3.1g for Macintosh, but because I need to render
> a bunch of images, and I figure the Sun Enterprise 220R at work is
> probably going to do that faster, and with less interference with my
> daily computer use, I've been trying to get that to work.
>
> I downloaded (with my sysop's assistance) the SunOS binary, and he
> installed it.  Now, it'll open the file and start to read it, but when
> it gets to my first #local definition, it complains.  I should note that
> this .inc file works fine under both Mac and Windows versions of POVRay.
>
> Is the #local statement not supported under the SunOS version, or is
> there a file that hasn't been properly installed, or.... what?

If you got the version from povray.org, please not that it is 3.02, not
3.1g.  If you got it elsewhere, please make sure you got a 3.1g and not a
previous version.

The easiest way to find out if it is a previous version is to run it.  Then
look at the console output.  It should near the beginning show the version
number.

If you currently have the 3.02 binary from povray.org and want to use 3.1g,
there are two possible solutions:

- Get the Unix source code and compile POV-Ray 3.1g yourself.  This may
sound more difficult than it actually is.  If you run into problems, just
post them in povray.unix and explain that you have never done so before.

- There is most likely a compiled version of 3.1g somewhere on the net. I
don't know where, but I am sure there is one somewhere and someone in these
newsgroups knows.

If you have 3.1g installed, I don't know what is wrong.

     Thorsten

Post a reply to this message