POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Trouble defining a visible light source Server Time
29 Mar 2024 09:03:38 EDT (-0400)
  Trouble defining a visible light source (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: TheRealMorris
Subject: Trouble defining a visible light source
Date: 25 Nov 2021 17:20:00
Message: <web.61a00b1491a3b12e4f1a67df8bf7213@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I'm using Povray 3.7.0.8 (which is the version coming straight from the Ubuntu
21.10 archives) and I'm trying to define a visible light source. I found this in
the docs for povray 3.6 here:

http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.2/137/

So, just for a test I copy/pasted this into my scene:

light_source
{ <0,0,0> color 1
  looks_like
  { sphere
    { <0,0,0>,0.1
      color { rgb 1 }
      finish { ambient 1 }
    }
  }
  translate <10,20,30>
}

But I get this error:

File '/home/trm/light.pov' line 91: Parse Error: No matching } in 'sphere', {
found instead Fatal error in parser: Cannot parse input.

Line 91 is the "color { rgb 1 }" one ...

Did something change in the syntax in version 3.7 or is the example incorrect
(or am I missing something basic)?

Thanks for any tips

Post a reply to this message

> I'm using Povray 3.7.0.8 (which is the version coming straight from the Ubuntu
> 21.10 archives) and I'm trying to define a visible light source. I found this in
> the docs for povray 3.6 here:
>
> http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.2/137/
>
> So, just for a test I copy/pasted this into my scene:
>

> light_source
> { <0,0,0> color 1
>   looks_like
>   { sphere
>     { <0,0,0>,0.1
>       color { rgb 1 }
>       finish { ambient 1 }
>     }
>   }
>   translate <10,20,30>
> }
>

> But I get this error:
>

> File '/home/trm/light.pov' line 91: Parse Error: No matching } in 'sphere', {
> found instead Fatal error in parser: Cannot parse input.
>
> Line 91 is the "color { rgb 1 }" one ...
>

> Did something change in the syntax in version 3.7 or is the example incorrect
> (or am I missing something basic)?

The syntax of POV-Ray apparently has changed, 'color' is no longer
permitted outside a texture or pigment.  Replace

    color { rgb 1 }

with

    pigment { color rgb 1 }

and the scene should render.
--
Cheers,
haj

Post a reply to this message

=?utf-8?Q?Harald_J=C3=B6rg?= <haj### [at] posteode> wrote:
> TheRealMorris writes:
>
> > I'm using Povray 3.7.0.8 (which is the version coming straight from the Ubuntu
> > 21.10 archives) and I'm trying to define a visible light source. I found this in
> > the docs for povray 3.6 here:
> >
> > http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.2/137/
> >
> > So, just for a test I copy/pasted this into my scene:
> >

> > light_source
> > { <0,0,0> color 1
> >   looks_like
> >   { sphere
> >     { <0,0,0>,0.1
> >       color { rgb 1 }
> >       finish { ambient 1 }
> >     }
> >   }
> >   translate <10,20,30>
> > }
> >

> > But I get this error:
> >

> > File '/home/trm/light.pov' line 91: Parse Error: No matching } in 'sphere', {
> > found instead Fatal error in parser: Cannot parse input.
> >
> > Line 91 is the "color { rgb 1 }" one ...
> >

> > Did something change in the syntax in version 3.7 or is the example incorrect
> > (or am I missing something basic)?
>
> The syntax of POV-Ray apparently has changed, 'color' is no longer
> permitted outside a texture or pigment.  Replace
>
>     color { rgb 1 }
>
> with
>
>     pigment { color rgb 1 }
>
> and the scene should render.
> --
> Cheers,
> haj

Thank you, that solves the issue.

Post a reply to this message

Op 26/11/2021 om 00:03 schreef TheRealMorris:
> =?utf-8?Q?Harald_J=C3=B6rg?= <haj### [at] posteode> wrote:
>> TheRealMorris writes:
>>
>>> I'm using Povray 3.7.0.8 (which is the version coming straight from the Ubuntu
>>> 21.10 archives) and I'm trying to define a visible light source. I found this in
>>> the docs for povray 3.6 here:
>>>
>>> http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.2/137/

Tip: When using the POV-Ray documentation, always use the wiki version
as that is the most up-to-date. Your document page can now be found here:

https://wiki.povray.org/content/Knowledgebase:Language_Questions_and_Tips#Topic_1

Personally, I most often start with:

https://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Keywords

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

Le 2021-11-25 à 17:16, TheRealMorris a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I'm using Povray 3.7.0.8 (which is the version coming straight from the Ubuntu
> 21.10 archives) and I'm trying to define a visible light source. I found this in
> the docs for povray 3.6 here:
>
> http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.2/137/
>
> So, just for a test I copy/pasted this into my scene:
>

> light_source
> { <0,0,0> color 1
>    looks_like
>    { sphere
>      { <0,0,0>,0.1
>        color { rgb 1 }
>        finish { ambient 1 }
>      }
>    }
>    translate <10,20,30>
> }
>

> But I get this error:
>

> File '/home/trm/light.pov' line 91: Parse Error: No matching } in 'sphere', {
> found instead Fatal error in parser: Cannot parse input.
>
> Line 91 is the "color { rgb 1 }" one ...
>

> Did something change in the syntax in version 3.7 or is the example incorrect
> (or am I missing something basic)?
>
> Thanks for any tips

from previous versions. Pre version 3.3.

Use this instead :

light_source
{ <10,20,30> rgb 1
   looks_like
   { sphere
     { <0,0,0>,0.1
       pigment { rgb 1 }
       finish { ambient 1 }
     }
   }
}

The coordinate of the looks_like is always relative to the light_source
location.

Post a reply to this message

> Op 26/11/2021 om 00:03 schreef TheRealMorris:
> > =?utf-8?Q?Harald_J=C3=B6rg?= <haj### [at] posteode> wrote:

> Tip: When using the POV-Ray documentation, always use the wiki version
> as that is the most up-to-date. Your document page can now be found here:
>
> https://wiki.povray.org/content/Knowledgebase:Language_Questions_and_Tips#Topic_1
>
> Personally, I most often start with:
>
> https://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Keywords
>

> --
> Thomas

Thank you, that's a useful tip. The problem is that the wiki isn't usually what
comes up first when you do a google search but ok, I can work around that.

Post a reply to this message

Op 28/11/2021 om 13:42 schreef TheRealMorris:

> Thank you, that's a useful tip. The problem is that the wiki isn't usually what
> comes up first when you do a google search but ok, I can work around that.

Bookmark the address? ;-)

--
Thomas