POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Trouble defining a visible light source : Trouble defining a visible light source Server Time
23 Apr 2024 11:15:41 EDT (-0400)
  Trouble defining a visible light source
From: TheRealMorris
Date: 25 Nov 2021 17:20:00
Message: <web.61a00b1491a3b12e4f1a67df8bf7213@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I'm using Povray 3.7.0.8 (which is the version coming straight from the Ubuntu
21.10 archives) and I'm trying to define a visible light source. I found this in
the docs for povray 3.6 here:

http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.2/137/

So, just for a test I copy/pasted this into my scene:

light_source
{ <0,0,0> color 1
  looks_like
  { sphere
    { <0,0,0>,0.1
      color { rgb 1 }
      finish { ambient 1 }
    }
  }
  translate <10,20,30>
}

But I get this error:

File '/home/trm/light.pov' line 91: Parse Error: No matching } in 'sphere', {
found instead Fatal error in parser: Cannot parse input.

Line 91 is the "color { rgb 1 }" one ...

Did something change in the syntax in version 3.7 or is the example incorrect
(or am I missing something basic)?

Thanks for any tips