POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Transparent Objects Become Black Server Time
28 Mar 2024 08:43:13 EDT (-0400)
  Transparent Objects Become Black (Message 1 to 10 of 37)
From: bubble person
Subject: Transparent Objects Become Black
Date: 11 Nov 2021 08:10:00
Message: <web.618d154df4d11d43a6f27af47c94cc22@news.povray.org>
Hello Forum,

I am relatively new to POV-RAY, but have a functional script .

I am simulating air bubbles in a glass tube full of gel.  I am running into a
funny problem where, if I add too many bubbles to the script, they go from being
transparent and rendered correctly, to a completely opaque, black object through
which no light shines.

Things that don't seem to work:

1) Increasing the  max_trace_level

2) I have tried to be sure that the inner surface of the gel is not in contact
with the air bubble by reducing the bubble radius by epsilon (.0001).  Oddly
enough, the script with up to 4 bubbles works only when the two surfaces are
coincident, and subtracting an epsilon value (.0001,.001,.01) causes the bubbles
to turn black, no matter the number.

I would love your input on this issue as I am stumped.  I cannot figure out why
this renders without issue when I only have a certain number of objects defined.

The order of my file:

In my scene, centered at the origin, I have bubbles, inside of gel, inside of a
glass tube, inside of water, inside of a plexiglass cylinder.

My code

1) I define variables, set trace level, and place the camera

2) I create a distributed area light source on a rectangular box

3) I define the bubbles I want in the gel

4) I create the glass tube into which the gel will sit

5) I create the gel region with voids into which the bubbles sit.

6) I then add water around the glass tube, and then a plexiglass perimeter.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'test-script.pov.txt' (15 KB)

> I am relatively new to POV-RAY, but have a functional script .
>
> I am simulating air bubbles in a glass tube full of gel.  I am running into a
> funny problem where, if I add too many bubbles to the script, they go from being
> transparent and rendered correctly, to a completely opaque, black object through
> which no light shines.

not sure if it will help, or is even related to "the issue", but if I change the
"bubble_r" to "(bubble_r - epsilon)" in the five spheres following comment "Add
Bubble Voids here", they're visible.

quick comment re "new to POV-Ray".  you have five identical (apart from
location) spheres.  have a look at macros, they're ideal in such a situation.
<https://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:User_Defined_Macros#The_macro_Directive>

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message

Le 2021-11-11 à 08:06, bubble_person a écrit :
> Hello Forum,
>
> I am relatively new to POV-RAY, but have a functional script .
>
> I am simulating air bubbles in a glass tube full of gel.  I am running into a
> funny problem where, if I add too many bubbles to the script, they go from being
> transparent and rendered correctly, to a completely opaque, black object through
> which no light shines.
>
> Things that don't seem to work:
>
> 1) Increasing the  max_trace_level
>
> 2) I have tried to be sure that the inner surface of the gel is not in contact
> with the air bubble by reducing the bubble radius by epsilon (.0001).  Oddly
> enough, the script with up to 4 bubbles works only when the two surfaces are
> coincident, and subtracting an epsilon value (.0001,.001,.01) causes the bubbles
> to turn black, no matter the number.
>
> I would love your input on this issue as I am stumped.  I cannot figure out why
> this renders without issue when I only have a certain number of objects defined.
>

> The order of my file:
>
> In my scene, centered at the origin, I have bubbles, inside of gel, inside of a
> glass tube, inside of water, inside of a plexiglass cylinder.
>
> My code
>
> 1) I define variables, set trace level, and place the camera
>
> 2) I create a distributed area light source on a rectangular box
>
> 3) I define the bubbles I want in the gel
>
> 4) I create the glass tube into which the gel will sit
>
> 5) I create the gel region with voids into which the bubbles sit.
>
> 6) I then add water around the glass tube, and then a plexiglass perimeter.

The first thing that I would to would be to increase max_trace_level
further still. It can go up to 255.

Note : Your area_light is oblique. If you want it to be flat, then, it's
size should be something like this :
area_light 160*x 200*z 65 65
adaptive 0 // start with zero, then, increase if needed
Size of area_light adjusted to match the light_box dimensions.

During testing, you should disable the area_light. It makes testing and
debugging faster.

The 100 by 100 get silently increased to 129 by 129 when adaptive is
used. That increase DO NOT affect the rendering time.

Using dispersion 1 is the same as not using dispersion. It must be
slightly different than 1. Realistic values are usually in the 1.01 to
1.08. Values less than 1 result in inverted dispersion.

You are using fade_power 1000 !? You should use 1 or 1001.
Using 1000 may cause some issues.

Post a reply to this message

> > I am relatively new to POV-RAY, but have a functional script .
> >
> > I am simulating air bubbles in a glass tube full of gel.  I am running into a
> > funny problem where, if I add too many bubbles to the script, they go from being
> > transparent and rendered correctly, to a completely opaque, black object through
> > which no light shines.
>
> not sure if it will help, or is even related to "the issue", but if I change the
> "bubble_r" to "(bubble_r - epsilon)" in the five spheres following comment "Add
> Bubble Voids here", they're visible.
>
> quick comment re "new to POV-Ray".  you have five identical (apart from
> location) spheres.  have a look at macros, they're ideal in such a situation.
> <https://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:User_Defined_Macros#The_macro_Directive>
>

> regards, jr.

Hello Jr.,

Thank you for the response, and I appreciate your pointer to the Macros.  I'll
be taking a deeper look at this.

I tried what you suggested, and for my script, it causes the bubble surface to
be shiny (I can see reflection on the perimeter of the bubble), but it seems
like the center of the bubble remains black, unrendered, or something like that.
 Light is certainly not going through it.

In previous cases, light refracts through the center of the bubbles, so the fact
that the center is still dark tells me that I'm still encountering an issue.

One other idea that I had was using the "clipped_by{}" function when defining
the voids.  I reordered the merge{} definition for the gel and the used the
clipped_by{} function to subtract out the bubble voids.

I did this and the centers seem to have reappeared for all the bubbles.  The
light is refracting through the bubbles which is good, but I'm worried that I
might be missing a subtlety about how the "difference{}" and "clipped_by{}"
functions work.  I'm not sure why this has worked, and it's worrying me when my
goal is to simulate realistic refraction through this volume.

Post a reply to this message