POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Transparent Objects Become Black : Re: Transparent Objects Become Black Server Time
18 Apr 2024 01:54:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Transparent Objects Become Black
From: bubble person
Date: 12 Nov 2021 04:05:00
Message: <web.618e2dd428696f32a6f27af47c94cc22@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> > ... So in effect, your original five sphere definitions are not even being
> > used; and the ones you did use are simply opaque.
>
> Correction: In your scene, both sets of spheres ARE being rendered at the same
> time... by mistake of course...and they exactly overlap, which is probably why
> you (and I!) were seeing odd results during various experiments. When multiple
> objects occupy the same exact space, POV-ray's built-in precision with its
> calculations can sometimes show one object or the other, or else 'coincident
> surface' speckles or other oddities.

Hello Kenneth,

Thank you for all of your sleuthing and the stripped-down example.  This has
really cleared up a fundamental misunderstanding that I was having about
inserting objects.  I was under the impression that the spheres defined in the
difference{} function were only there to carve out holes.  I didn't realise I
could actually define material properties for those voids.  That's the reason I
defined the bubbles twice, thinking I had to scoop out the region, and then fill
it with a bubble with the desired material properties.  It makes a lot of sense
that I was getting funny results with the doubly-defined bubbles occupying the
same space!

I also appreciate the example of the object definitions. As you can see with my
long-winded scripting, I was pushing my basic knowledge of the program as far as
I could without adding the hierarchical structures that would make it elegant.
haha!  This gives me some good footing to streamline my POV-RAY scripting.

I'll keep everyone updated as I try to make the script cleaner using your
examples and the input of others in the post.

Sincerely,

bubble_person