POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : How to make a cloudy, dull interior? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 18:13:45 EDT (-0400)
  How to make a cloudy, dull interior? (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Ekki Plicht
Subject: How to make a cloudy, dull interior?
Date: 26 Aug 2002 16:05:52
Message: <3d6a8a20@news.povray.org>
Hi,
I have been playing with POV-Ray since 2 days and try to model something
simple...

A part of that is made of plastic or rubber, which is _nearly_ clear. The
interior is muddy or cloudy, not transparent at all, the colors of the
background shine through only very, very dim and roughly. The surface is
not reflective at all.

You can find such a plastic maybe as rubber feets on small electronic
devices or other boxes.

Which texture and interior should I use? I have been playing around with
mostly "glass" like settings, but the results are not satisfying.

Any help?

TIA;
Ekki (Germany)

Post a reply to this message

> A part of that is made of plastic or rubber, which is _nearly_ clear. The
> interior is muddy or cloudy, not transparent at all, the colors of the
> background shine through only very, very dim and roughly. The surface is
> not reflective at all.
>
> You can find such a plastic maybe as rubber feets on small electronic
> devices or other boxes.
>
> Which texture and interior should I use? I have been playing around with
> mostly "glass" like settings, but the results are not satisfying.

To make effects that depend on the volume of the interior instead of
just surface texture, you need to use interior attenuation (the
fade_power, fade_distance, and fade_color keywords) or media. For this,
you said you wanted a cloudy look, so I would recommend scattering media
or a combination of scattering with absorbing. There are some examples
in the sample scenes.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/