POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Anti-aliasing Server Time
5 Sep 2024 10:29:21 EDT (-0400)
  Anti-aliasing (Message 41 to 50 of 55)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 5 Messages >>>
From: Jaime Vives
Subject: Re: Anti-aliasing
Date: 2 Apr 2002 10:55:40
Message: <3CA9D4EF.6030407@ignorancia.org>
Warp wrote:

>   The problem with method 2 is that it's in practice filtering the image,
> which can enhance its visual quality and is thus post-processing.

   Sure? I've tried it, and I can't get "much better" results *only*
resizing a 10 times bigger image (with The Gimp), than using +a0.0. The
only image where I've seen *really* better results was the one posted by
Kari, where he admits to have used "something more" than a pure resizing
(still, I can't get such good results even using the gaussian blur on
"The Gimp"... he surely cheated even more! ;).

>   There wouldn't be a problem with method 2 if post-processing was not against
> the spirit of the competition. IMO it's such a big filtering process that it
> does not fit inside the rules.

   No, IMHO, this is not the spirit of the rule about postprocesing. I
think it tries to avoid mainly someone "adding" extra features to the
rendering, that is, adding "foregein pixels" (pasting figures or
objects, adding lens flares/sparkles/glow/etc..). And a "resize", even
with filters, only plays with rendered pixels.

   Anyhow, the line is very difficult to place... in this case, I think
it is a harmful postprocesing. A bad image is a bad image even with the
most fine definition of details (perhaps even worse!). A good image is
still good with the most poor antialiasing.

   For me, this is the typical "let the judges decide..." :)

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

http://www.ignorancia.org/
La Persistencia de la Ignorancia