POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Random Server Time
5 Sep 2024 10:26:23 EDT (-0400)
  Random (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: yooper
Subject: Random
Date: 16 May 2001 16:47:07
Message: <3b02e74b$1@news.povray.org>
I give up !!!
I thought I had this fingered out but . . . ?
Maybe I've been staring at it for too long 'cause no matter
how I tweek it, it seems that 2 + 2 now equals 5. ;)

I want to use three random strings . . . one for each object
so that I can alter one without changing the other two.
Here's what I have:

#declare R0 = seed(3151);
#declare R1 = seed(137);
#declare R2 = seed(1911);

and then I loop though and call these a number of times.

#declare X0=X0+(rand(R0)-0.5)*D;
#declare Y0=Y0+(rand(R0)-0.5)*D;
#declare X1=X1+(rand(R1)-0.5)*D;
#declare Y1=Y1+(rand(R1)-0.5)*D;
#declare X2=X2+(rand(R2)-0.5)*D;
#declare Y2=Y2+(rand(R2)-0.5)*D;

Now . . . I like the shape of the one using R0 and want to
keep it but would like to change those generated using R1 & R2.
When I change the seed value for R1 and/or R2, I get NO CHANGE.
The only way I get different shapes is if I change R0 . . . then all 3
are altered.  I thought that the 3 streams would be independant of
one another but they are not.

And I wanna know,  "Whatz up wid that ???" 'cause I can't see it.
I've stared at it long enough to know that I'm stuck.
And yes, I tried the POVray docs . . . ZIp, Nothing on Rand anywhere
I have looked.  I've searched these messages for "Random" messages
but haven't found any that answer the Question. What am I doing wrong?

any help will be appreciated . . . it's most likely very simple but then,
so am I ;)

"yooper" <Out### [at] huntelnet> wrote in message

> I want to use three random strings . . . one for each object
> so that I can alter one without changing the other two.
>
> and then I loop though and call these a number of times.

Curious, because it sometimes seems to me that random numbers have trouble
too.  I'm always juggling the things around until it works which could be
part of the reason for my thinking so.
Are those seed() statements placed together or into separate loops?  Maybe
they aren't getting accessed correctly in order to make changes when
appropriate.

Bob H.

Post a reply to this message