POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : rounding off the edges Server Time
5 Sep 2024 10:26:54 EDT (-0400)
  rounding off the edges (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Bill Brehm
Subject: rounding off the edges
Date: 3 Nov 2000 20:56:22
Message: <3a036cc6@news.povray.org>
Hi,

Is there a way to round off the edges of an object, either 2D or 3D, without
doing all the calculations manually?

Say I want to make a circle with a cross removed, and want the three sharp
cormers on each quadrant to have a radius no smaller than a specified value.
I know I could remove a small square from each sharp edge, then add back a
circle, but that is tedious. I'd like to say, take that object and make the
minimum radius such and such.

Thanks,

Bill

Example of the object whose edges I'd like to round:

#local StripPadThickness = 0.003 * 25.4;
#local StripFiducialDiameter = 4 * 225 / 640;
#local StripFiducialStreetWidth = 2 / 18 * StripFiducialDiameter;
#local StripFiducialClearance = 0.5;

#local StripPadTexture = texture {Gold_Metal}

// Round crosshair fiducial declaration

#local StripFiducial = difference {
  cylinder {
    <0, 0, 0>
    <0, 0, -StripPadThickness>
    StripFiducialDiameter / 2
  }
  box {
    <-StripFiducialDiameter / 2 - Tiny, StripFiducialStreetWidth /
2, -StripPadThickness - Tiny>
    <StripFiducialDiameter / 2 + Tiny, -StripFiducialStreetWidth / 2, Tiny>
  }
  box {
    <StripFiducialStreetWidth / 2, -StripFiducialDiameter / 2 -
Tiny, -StripPadThickness - Tiny>
    <-StripFiducialStreetWidth / 2, StripFiducialDiameter / 2 + Tiny, Tiny>
  }
  texture {StripPadTexture}
}

Post a reply to this message

On Fri, 3 Nov 2000 18:56:22 -0700, Bill Brehm wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Is there a way to round off the edges of an object, either 2D or 3D, without
>doing all the calculations manually?
>
>Say I want to make a circle with a cross removed, and want the three sharp
>cormers on each quadrant to have a radius no smaller than a specified value.
>I know I could remove a small square from each sharp edge, then add back a
>circle, but that is tedious. I'd like to say, take that object and make the
>minimum radius such and such.

David Fontain has a small macro that'll smooth the edges on almost
anything.  You'll probably want to make your cross as a prisam, and
use his prisam rounded edges macro (I think he's doen prisams), his web
site's here:

 http://davidf.faricy.net/

Good luck.

--
Cheers
Steve              email mailto:ste### [at] zeroppsuklinuxnet

web http://www.zeropps.uklinux.net/

or  http://start.at/zero-pps

  3:41am  up 24 days,  6:03,  3 users,  load average: 1.02, 1.15, 1.16

Post a reply to this message