POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Generating Meshes from Arrays of Points Server Time
5 Sep 2024 04:13:05 EDT (-0400)
  Generating Meshes from Arrays of Points (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: Florian Pesth
Subject: Generating Meshes from Arrays of Points
Date: 7 Feb 2002 15:30:20
Message: <3c62e3dc@news.povray.org>
Hello all!
I'm sure this has been done before, but not by me... ;) I'm writing a small
C-Programm to generate some simple Meshes. I've got an Array of points,
which is unsorted, and now I want to generate a closed Mesh. I'm just not
sure about the algorithm to use for that. I thought that I could search for
the nearest four points and connect them to two triangles and that would fit
to a closed Mesh... But this doesn't seem to work (Maybe there is also a
fault in the programm, who knows ;)). I would be interested in a working
algorithm (not in finished macros).
Thanks
Florian

Post a reply to this message

> I'm sure this has been done before, but not by me... ;) I'm writing a small
> C-Programm to generate some simple Meshes. I've got an Array of points,
> which is unsorted, and now I want to generate a closed Mesh. I'm just not
> sure about the algorithm to use for that. I thought that I could search for
> the nearest four points and connect them to two triangles and that would fit
> to a closed Mesh... But this doesn't seem to work (Maybe there is also a
> fault in the programm, who knows ;)). I would be interested in a working
> algorithm (not in finished macros).

This is an extremely nontrivial question and for an arbitrary point cloud
there needn't be a reasonable mesh representation.

You could try a seach fore more information:

http://www.google.com/search?q=point+cloud+mesh

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,

> This is an extremely nontrivial question and for an arbitrary point cloud
> there needn't be a reasonable mesh representation.
upps...
> You could try a seach fore more information:
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=point+cloud+mesh
>
> Christoph
Thanks, I will look for it.
Florian