POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Generating Meshes from Arrays of Points : Re: Generating Meshes from Arrays of Points Server Time
5 Sep 2024 02:17:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Generating Meshes from Arrays of Points
From: Florian Pesth
Date: 11 Feb 2002 10:37:20
Message: <3c67e530$1@news.povray.org>
Hi Tom and Warp!
> If your output IS function-based, then you might want to look into Pov 3.5
> iso-surfaces....
No, it's not function-based. And I don't think, this can done with
functions. BTW iso-surfaces seem interesting for other purposes. But I don't
want to download Pov 3.5 again and again until it's official released. (I
don't care about the bugs, there are so much in Windows, but I have a slow
56K modem).
> Not necessarily, as calculating the best distribution of triangles among
>the vertex points can be a very slow thing to do (sounds a bit like an
>exponential-time problem).
First I have to find an algorithm, that works., than the PC can run a week,
or so... ;)
I've got another idea for that problem, but at this week I have absolutely
no time :(. I think that there is not only one possible solution to put a
mesh around an arbitrary poin cloud, but that there should be a way to find
one solution, that will do it.
Many thanks so far,
Florian