POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : not really a raytraing question but... Server Time
5 Sep 2024 14:21:34 EDT (-0400)
  not really a raytraing question but... (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: J Charter
Subject: not really a raytraing question but...
Date: 3 Jan 2001 19:51:12
Message: <3A53CA23.50C40EE9@aol.com>
would be most grateful for the answer...

I am running compiles in DOS from the "dosprompt" or "consol" that W98
provides and I want to stream the compiler errors, which are normally
written to the consol, to a file instead.  I know I used to do this once
upon a time, but cannot remember what the switch is and cannot seem to
turn it up in any books I have.  Can anyone be so kind ...
jc

Post a reply to this message

> would be most grateful for the answer...
>
> I am running compiles in DOS from the "dosprompt" or "consol" that W98
> provides and I want to stream the compiler errors, which are normally
> written to the consol, to a file instead.  I know I used to do this once
> upon a time, but cannot remember what the switch is and cannot seem to
> turn it up in any books I have.  Can anyone be so kind ...
> jc

Just use  " > "  at the end of your command line to pipe it to a .txt file

dir c: /s > c_drive.txt

If you want to append it to an existing file use the following -

dir d: /s >> c_drive.txt

--
Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message

I remembered it being something like that
but sadly, it ain't happening.  Maybe I am misunderstanding your answer.  what
does the /s do?
Would the OS matter?

Ken wrote:

> J Charter wrote:
> >
> > would be most grateful for the answer...
> >
> > I am running compiles in DOS from the "dosprompt" or "consol" that W98
> > provides and I want to stream the compiler errors, which are normally
> > written to the consol, to a file instead.  I know I used to do this once
> > upon a time, but cannot remember what the switch is and cannot seem to
> > turn it up in any books I have.  Can anyone be so kind ...
> > jc
>
> Just use  " > "  at the end of your command line to pipe it to a .txt file
>
> dir c: /s > c_drive.txt
>
> If you want to append it to an existing file use the following -
>
> dir d: /s >> c_drive.txt
>
> --
> Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message

On Wed, 03 Jan 2001 19:56:03 -0500, J Charter wrote:
>would be most grateful for the answer...
>
>I am running compiles in DOS from the "dosprompt" or "consol" that W98
>provides and I want to stream the compiler errors, which are normally
>written to the consol, to a file instead.  I know I used to do this once
>upon a time, but cannot remember what the switch is and cannot seem to
>turn it up in any books I have.  Can anyone be so kind ...

I don't think there's a way to do it in command.com.  If you were using
NT's cmd.exe, you could just add "2>errors.txt" to the end of the command
line.

If you're using cygwin, you might try using the bash shell that comes with
it and using the same 2> notation to redirect stderr.

My opinions.  Mine.  Not anyone else's.

Post a reply to this message