POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : A beginner's first Questions! Server Time
5 Sep 2024 18:17:09 EDT (-0400)
  A beginner's first Questions! (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: ErI
Subject: A beginner's first Questions!
Date: 10 Jun 2000 00:14:59
Message: <3941c0c3$1@news.povray.org>
First off I'd like to say hello to everybody.  Now for the questions....

1.  Is POV-Raytracer like C++ and Visual Basic in regards to it having it's
"own" programming language?

2.  If so how can I learn to "program" POV?
     ( I can't find any literature on the language itself)

  I created a wireframe object using sPatch and previewed it with sPatch's
OpenGL preview renderer.  It looked great!  Then I exported it into .pov!  I
then rendered it with POV and it looked horrible.  The OpenGL render was
smooth and was appealing to the eye, but in POV it looked like it was
rendered in 2 bit!!!  really blocky like I had a cheap video card.  The
OpenGL render looked really smooth and professional.  I don't want to give
up on POV just yet because I've seen what others have done with POV and I
was very impressed!!!  Please help!!! Also if someone decides to help but
you need more than a posting will allow you could email me if it isn't too
much trouble!!  My email address is fre### [at] fusenet!!  Any and all
help would greatly be appreciated!!

Sincerely,
Ed

Post a reply to this message

"ErI" <fre### [at] fusenet> wrote in message
| First off I'd like to say hello to everybody.  Now for the questions....
|
| 1.  Is POV-Raytracer like C++ and Visual Basic in regards to it having it's
| "own" programming language?

I'll let others answer this one (it both is and isn't a "programming
language").

| 2.  If so how can I learn to "program" POV?
|      ( I can't find any literature on the language itself)

Likewise this one too (how about the povray31.doc?).

|   I created a wireframe object using sPatch and previewed it with sPatch's
| OpenGL preview renderer.  It looked great!  Then I exported it into .pov!  I
| then rendered it with POV and it looked horrible.

Don't know why that would be.  It seems to have always done well enough for
me; in fact I've seen a worse preview than actual end output.  Might want to
check into using HamaPatch, a sPatch alternative:
http://www.crosswinds.net/~hamapatch/

Bob

Post a reply to this message

> First off I'd like to say hello to everybody.  Now for the questions....
>
> 1.  Is POV-Raytracer like C++ and Visual Basic in regards to it having it's
> "own" programming language?
>
> 2.  If so how can I learn to "program" POV?
>      ( I can't find any literature on the language itself)

do you have the documentation for pov?  there is the help file and also
a .doc with the same content.  i recommend printing out the entire
document and reading it.  it is around 300 pages, so if you can print on
both sides, or multiple pages per sheet, you should.  i just started
pov'ing about 4 months ago or so and have read the docs 4 or 5 times all
the way through.  section 3 contains tutorials.  there are also links to
online tutorials at the povray website.  good luck.

>   I created a wireframe object using sPatch and previewed it with sPatch's
> OpenGL preview renderer.  It looked great!  Then I exported it into .pov!  I
> then rendered it with POV and it looked horrible.  The OpenGL render was
> smooth and was appealing to the eye, but in POV it looked like it was
> rendered in 2 bit!!!  really blocky like I had a cheap video card.  The
> OpenGL render looked really smooth and professional.  I don't want to give
> up on POV just yet because I've seen what others have done with POV and I
> was very impressed!!!  Please help!!! Also if someone decides to help but
> you need more than a posting will allow you could email me if it isn't too
> much trouble!!  My email address is fre### [at] fusenet!!  Any and all
> help would greatly be appreciated!!
>
> Sincerely,
> Ed

Post a reply to this message