POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Tiled images Server Time
5 Sep 2024 18:21:14 EDT (-0400)
  Tiled images (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Monte
Subject: Tiled images
Date: 27 Mar 2000 14:00:53
Message: <38dfae7b.10840938@news.povray.org>
Hello all,
I have found lots of "textures" available for download, as bitmap
images (gif, jpg, etc.). I've looked and looked, but can't seem to
find how to use them. I want to use an image as a 'tiled' background.

Can someone point me to a web site, example pov scene (have looked but
haven't found one that does this), sample scene code, or ....?

Thank you,
Monte

Post a reply to this message

> I have found lots of "textures" available for download, as bitmap
> images (gif, jpg, etc.). I've looked and looked, but can't seem to
> find how to use them. I want to use an image as a 'tiled' background.
>
> Can someone point me to a web site, example pov scene (have looked but
> haven't found one that does this), sample scene code, or ....?
>
> Thank you,
> Monte

  It is relatively easy using the image map feature of POV-Ray. There
is no background tiling feature but you can easily apply an image map
to a plane and set it behind your scene. If you do not specify the
'once' image map modifier the image will automatically tile itself.

plane { z, 20
  pigment {
    image_map {tga "your_image.tga" interpolate 2 }
  }
}

See also the image map tutorial at -

http://members.xoom.com/yang4yang/pov/imap1.html