POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Merge vs. Union Server Time
6 Sep 2024 00:18:26 EDT (-0400)
  Merge vs. Union (Message 11 to 20 of 27)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 7 Messages >>>
From: Ian Burgmyer
Subject: Re: Merge vs. Union
Date: 20 Sep 1999 01:08:54
Message: <37e5c166@news.povray.org>
Haha!  This is kinda what I was looking for in the first place!

It sums everything up pretty well ;)

-Ian

>   I like to think of CSG operations as to how they perform physically in
> an operation. My idea of more better analogies would be:
>
> union        = gluing
> intersection = cutting
> difference   = scooping
> merge        = melting and gluing
> clipping     = cutting and hollowing
> inverse      = inside outing
>
> There ! That should give you something to cry in despair over for a while
:)

> --
> Ken Tyler
>
> See my 1000+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at:
> http://home.pacbell.net/tylereng/index.html

Post a reply to this message

From: Nieminen Juha
Date: 20 Sep 1999 06:32:51
Message: <37e60d53@news.povray.org>
Ron Parker <par### [at] fwicom> wrote:
: It's also
: possible that POV automatically ignores objects that are entirely
: further away than the closest intersection so far.  If it doesn't,
: it should.

  How can it know if the object is further or not without testing the
ray-object intersection?