POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Merge vs. Union : Re: Merge vs. Union Server Time
6 Sep 2024 02:19:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Merge vs. Union
From: Ken
Date: 20 Sep 1999 09:42:35
Message: <37E63949.2EB6142F@pacbell.net>
Nieminen Juha wrote:

> Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:
> : intersection = cutting
> : difference   = scooping
>
>   I have always thought about the difference as cutting parts out from the
> main object.

In english the word "scooping" implies that but perhaps not as definitavely as
you have stated it.

> : clipping     = cutting and hollowing
>
>   Is clipping considered CSG? Note that the 'S' stands for 'solid' :)
>
>   I think that it would also be useful if you explained the difference
> between intersection and clipping and when it's better to use clipping
> instead of intersection.

You might be right here.

Intersections will slice or cut an object and then apply a face where the
slice has been made.

Clipping slices an object but will not leave a face where the slice has
occured. Instead the object that has been sliced will now appear to be
hollowed out since all solid objects in POV-Ray are not truly solid.

--
Ken Tyler

See my 1000+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at: