POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : skipping an object temporarily Server Time
6 Sep 2024 00:20:14 EDT (-0400)
  skipping an object temporarily (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Chuck Roberts
Subject: skipping an object temporarily
Date: 25 Aug 1999 15:17:02
Message: <37C4416F.917EDA0A@accn.org>
Is there an easy way to skip rendering an object? Like using a GOTO to
skip over it? I don't want to have to delete the whole object or comment
out 20 lines to comment it out.

Thanks.

Post a reply to this message

From: Ken
Subject: Re: skipping an object temporarily
Date: 25 Aug 1999 16:03:56
Message: <37C44BF6.3ABCC933@pacbell.net>
Chuck Roberts wrote:

> Is there an easy way to skip rendering an object? Like using a GOTO to
> skip over it? I don't want to have to delete the whole object or comment
> out 20 lines to comment it out.
>
> Thanks.

The easiest way is to simply declare the object as something.

For example:

#declare Thing =
union{
sphere{<1,0,0>,1}
sphere{<0,1,0>,1}
sphere{<0,0,1>,1}
sphere{<1,1,0>,1}
sphere{<0,1,1>,1}
     }

//object{Thing}

As you can see you need only comment out one line this way. This is of course
a simplified version and you would normaly have finishes and pigments for the
objects.

--
Ken Tyler

See my 850+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at:

On Wed, 25 Aug 1999 15:18:07 -0400, Chuck Roberts <rob### [at] accnorg> wrote:

>Is there an easy way to skip rendering an object? Like using a GOTO to
>skip over it? I don't want to have to delete the whole object or comment
>out 20 lines to comment it out.

  Here's a portion of scene code from a recent trace I did. It isn't my
original idea to call it render control. An artist shared his source with me
and I took to using this method for quick test renders. My apologies to the
artist as I have forgotten his name.

/* Render Control */
#declare Photons_on                =   1;
#declare phd                       =0.75; // 0.5
#declare Area_light_on             =   1;
#declare Refl_Refr_on              =   1;
#declare Focal_blur_on             =   1;
#declare Focal_blur_high_quality   =   1;
#declare Plastic_box_on            =   1;
#declare Innards_on                =   1;
#declare Test_ball_on              =   0;

#if (Test_ball_on)
sphere {<-4,-5,4>,1
   pigment {color rgb 1.5}
   finish {ambient .2 diffuse .6 specular .3 roughness .005}
}
#end // (Test_ball_on)

--
Alan
news.povray.org - where POV-Ray enthusiasts around the world can get

> Is there an easy way to skip rendering an object? Like using a GOTO to
> skip over it? I don't want to have to delete the whole object or comment
> out 20 lines to comment it out.

Aren't multiline /* ... */ comments simple enought? You only need to alter
two lines :-)

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany

Post a reply to this message

> > Is there an easy way to skip rendering an object? Like using a GOTO to
> > skip over it? I don't want to have to delete the whole object or comment
> > out 20 lines to comment it out.
>
> Aren't multiline /* ... */ comments simple enought? You only need to alter
> two lines :-)
>
>     Thorsten

I would have given up long ago without them !