POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : rgb-cube and problems with media Server Time
6 Sep 2024 02:19:15 EDT (-0400)
  rgb-cube and problems with media (Message 11 to 20 of 35)
From: Alan Kong
Subject: Re: rgb-cube and problems with media
Date: 25 Jul 1999 13:15:51
Message: <379c44b0.213476334@news.povray.org>

>but... this is still a mystery to me, because I know I didn't specify
>ANY global_settings in the scene file yesterday, and POV-Ray still
>produced garbage; today I tried again (I didn't make any changes) and
>these black squares were gone! The only explanation I can imagine is
>that POV-Ray crashed (which happens under Windoze95 quite often) and
>after restarting POV-Ray it got a bit confused and somehow used a
>wrong value (6 or 7?) for max_trace_level!?

  Hi, Daniel. This was a known bug and has been fixed since POV-Ray for
Windows v3.1d (we are now at v3.1g). As per Changes.txt that accompanies
POVWin:

o Fixed MAX_TRACE_LEVEL global not being re-initialized.

--
Alan
news.povray.org - where POV-Ray enthusiasts around the world can get

> >but... this is still a mystery to me, because I know I didn't specify
> >ANY global_settings in the scene file yesterday, and POV-Ray still
> >produced garbage; today I tried again (I didn't make any changes) and
> >these black squares were gone! The only explanation I can imagine is
> >that POV-Ray crashed (which happens under Windoze95 quite often) and
> >after restarting POV-Ray it got a bit confused and somehow used a
> >wrong value (6 or 7?) for max_trace_level!?
>
>   Hi, Daniel. This was a known bug and has been fixed since POV-Ray for
> Windows v3.1d (we are now at v3.1g). As per Changes.txt that accompanies
> POVWin:
>
> o Fixed MAX_TRACE_LEVEL global not being re-initialized.
>
> --
> Alan

Alan,
I was wondering what that bug meant. Now it makes sense - thanks.

Daniel,

There are also other important bug fixes since that version you
are using and you are encouraged to upgrade now to avoid other
similar problems.

http://www.povray.org

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net
http://home.pacbell.net/tylereng/links.htm

Date: 25 Jul 1999 15:15:35
Message: <379b6257@news.povray.org>
>Shift your camera or rotate the entire cube itself (using a union)
ever
>so slightly and the vertical white line will disappear. It's a result
of
>the opposite front and back edges lining up.

it helped a bit but there was still not much improvement... some dots
disappear, others reappear :-/

Post a reply to this message