POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Help with CGS Server Time
6 Sep 2024 08:10:45 EDT (-0400)
  Help with CGS (Message 1 to 10 of 14)
From: Kevork Abadjian
Subject: Help with CGS
Date: 15 Apr 1999 17:05:21
Message: <3716462F.2BA61601@conted.lan.mcgill.ca>
Hi.

I have just started using pov and I do not have any prior experience
with other similar products.

I tried to follow the documentation and create a simple image of five
glass balls overlapping in a "merge" statement according to what I read
in the docs it should have rendered one solid object made of all the
balls, but no matter what I do I still see the overlapping boundaries.
I have tried it with/without AA. Ihave tried it with official pov and
with uvpov.  I have rased and dropped the intensity of the lights.  and
cannot make them go away.

I would appreciate it if someone could make me solve this, or understand
it.

Post a reply to this message

It's very hard to figure whats going on without knowing exactly what you've
done. Give us a hand here and include your code in a reply to this message.

        Graham.

Kevork Abadjian wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I have just started using pov and I do not have any prior experience
> with other similar products.
>
> I tried to follow the documentation and create a simple image of five
> glass balls overlapping in a "merge" statement according to what I read
> in the docs it should have rendered one solid object made of all the
> balls, but no matter what I do I still see the overlapping boundaries.
> I have tried it with/without AA. Ihave tried it with official pov and
> with uvpov.  I have rased and dropped the intensity of the lights.  and
> cannot make them go away.
>
> I would appreciate it if someone could make me solve this, or understand
> it.

Post a reply to this message

> I have just started using pov and I do not have any prior experience
> with other similar products.
>
> I tried to follow the documentation and create a simple image of five
> glass balls overlapping in a "merge" statement according to what I read
> in the docs it should have rendered one solid object made of all the
> balls, but no matter what I do I still see the overlapping boundaries.
> I have tried it with/without AA. Ihave tried it with official pov and
> with uvpov.  I have rased and dropped the intensity of the lights.  and
> cannot make them go away.
>
> I would appreciate it if someone could make me solve this, or understand
> it.

  What you are probably seeing is correct behaivior for the function.
Merge will not make the interior surfaces dissapear per se. What will
instead happen is that you will have no two areas overlapping. Think
of like this. If your spheres were flat and arranged in a pie shape.
You then divide the pie up into equal sections like cutting it with a
knife. What you will see is the dividing line where each sphere's
surface now forms an internal divider with no overlapping of materials.
It doesn't remove these internal dividers but actually creates them for
you. A simple way to test this would be to make six spheres. Arrange them
roughly in a circle larger than the circumference of the sheres you use.
Make every other sphere clear ( rgbf 0 ) and then assign a different
color to the other three spheres. You will now see when rendered that
where the color spheres over lap the clear spheres that a straight boundry
line is formed instead of the additive of the color and the clear in that
area where they overlap. To remove the boundry line takes a bit more work
than just using a merge CSG function.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net