POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Help with CGS : Re: Help with CGS Server Time
6 Sep 2024 02:22:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help with CGS
From: Ken
Date: 16 Apr 1999 04:14:18
Message: <3716E1F0.706FC63A@pacbell.net>
Kevork Abadjian wrote:

> I was looking at the two replies posted to my message and as far as I can see
> Ken explained the situation even better than I could; but he stopped just short
> of a suggestion to fix the problem.
>
> there is nothing special about the source, I am using the std seen file and
> just and std texture for glass and a switch to toggle on an off the photones.

  Your misunderstanding about how the merge function is supposed to behave
is not to do with the results you are witnessing from the example you are
using but instead of the way you are using a CSG operation inside of a
while loop. The correct way to implement a merge using a csg is like the
example below. It is your while loop rearranged to operate correctly.
When using a CSG within a while loop you must move the merge statement
outside the while statement or it is not acted upon correctly. Don't
ask me why this is so but I found after many hair pulling sessions and
then finaly by asking in these groups how to solve my problem. So without
further ado...

// This should now act correctly for a merge csg operation:
 #declare cnt=0
        merge {
 #while (cnt < 5)
        object {ball