POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : more on the tutoria; Server Time
6 Sep 2024 08:09:35 EDT (-0400)
  more on the tutoria; (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: egloria
Subject: more on the tutoria;
Date: 28 Nov 1998 14:55:20
Message: <36605528.0@news.povray.org>
Oops I made a mistake, it was in the hieghtfield
Demo and here is the part that I cannot find from the
documentation:
Now we add the height field. In the following syntax,
a Targa image file is specified, the height field is
smoothed, it is given a simple white pigment, it is
translated to center it around the origin and it is
scaled so that it resembles mountains and
fills the screen.

height_field {

tga "image.tga"

smooth

Post a reply to this message

>  Oops I made a mistake, it was in the hieghtfield
> Demo and here is the part that I cannot find from the
> documentation:
> Now we add the height field. In the following syntax,
> a Targa image file is specified, the height field is
> smoothed, it is given a simple white pigment, it is
> translated to center it around the origin and it is
> scaled so that it resembles mountains and
> fills the screen.
>
> height_field {
>
> tga "image.tga"
>
> smooth

  I am going from memory here but if I remember
right there are a few steps at the beginning of that
tutorial where you learn to use the hf_grey_16
option. You were probably supposed to call
your pov file image.pov. That would have created
image.tga which you use for the the rest of the tutorial.

Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message

I will go back and reread that section again,
but I also have another question,when I am
suppose to render the image the tutorial says to
render at 240x160 +aa well you get what I mean
the option area is already preprogrammed with
all sorts of resolutions to render at but it does not
give me the option to set the res and + or - anti alias
( I learned what them to aa meant oh my I am learning)

Post a reply to this message

>  I will go back and reread that section again,
> but I also have another question,when I am
> suppose to render the image the tutorial says to
> render at 240x160 +aa well you get what I mean
> the option area is already preprogrammed with
> all sorts of resolutions to render at but it does not
> give me the option to set the res and + or - anti alias
> ( I learned what them to aa meant oh my I am learning)

    It's really not important. At that resolution your image
will render poorly anyway. But if you would like to add
more variations to the ones available you can go to the
tools  menu and choose the "edit secondary.ini" option.
You then can use the information there to add whatever
resolutions you want.

Example:

[240x160,  AA ]
Width=240
Height=160
Antialias=ON

You will have to restart Pov before the changes take effect.

Ken Tyler