POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Ribbon? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 16:16:40 EDT (-0400)
  Ribbon? (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Saif Ansari
Subject: Ribbon?
Date: 26 Jan 1998 22:29:34
Message: <34CD549E.4CEC@frontiernet.net>
Anyone have any idea how to code a Ribbon?
A finite plane, maybe? I'm thinking of something like this...

					    ________
________				   /
      	\	    ________		  /
	 \_________/	    \            /
			     \__________/

Well, you get the idea (I hope, anyway...) This isn't exactly what I
want to do at all... just to give you the idea of what I want to do with
this.
	The  '\''s are supposed to be gentle slopes.... and I'd like to move
this in the Z plane as well (in and out of the page). *Any* ideas or
help would be more than appreciated... I don't want to do this with a
spline or primatives... a finite plane is kind of what I'm thinking
about (although how I'd manipulate it to that extent isn't something I'm
sure of yet, either... am I unprepared or what? :) I had a brainwave of
an idea and couldn't think of how to do this...)

So, please... any help is greatly apreciated.

Saif
--
"And so I throw the windows wide and call to you across the skies."
-pink floyd.

"All that we see or seem, is but a dream, within a dream."
-Edgar Alan Poe.

Post a reply to this message

> Well, I've just proven I'm lousy at ASCII art. :P
> That'll teach me to use the Tab key. :) Ignore that part please... I
> still hope you get the point... help. :)
>
> --
> "And so I throw the windows wide and call to you across the skies."
> -pink floyd.
>
> "All that we see or seem, is but a dream, within a dream."
> -Edgar Alan Poe.

Using ripples?

Is there any way to apply a ripple or wave texture to a plane, then
scale or somehow stretch parts of the plane to produce larger
deformations?

Or maybe a very smooth heightfield?

I'm too much of an amateur to offer more than wild stabs in the dark,
sorry.

Mark

Post a reply to this message