POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Ribbon? : Re: Ribbon? (correction) Server Time
6 Sep 2024 14:17:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ribbon? (correction)
From: Roland Mas
Date: 27 Jan 1998 08:34:09
Message: <6aknoh$m32$4@melchior.Cuivre.FR.EU.ORG>
Mark Mealman and Saif Ansari discussed about a ribbon.
> Using ripples?

Nope. Ripples just change the normal of the surface, and do not move the
surface itself.

> Or maybe a very smooth heightfield?

That could work. You can even use POV-Ray to generate your height field
image: put a plane in front of the camera, and give it a texture like:
texture {
  finish {
    ambient 1
    diffuse 0
  }
  pigment {
    gradient y
    colour_map { ... }
  }
}

With the colour map adequately defined, that produces good output.

Other possibility: you could use a bicubic patch. A little bit harder to
control, but it gives splendid results. I once used them, but I cannot
remember the precise syntax. Anyway, the docs are quite clear on this point.

Happy tracing,
  B-o-b
--

bob### [at] casimirrezelenstfr -- Linux, POV-Ray, LaTeX