POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : anti-aliasing & hdri Server Time
19 Apr 2024 04:40:48 EDT (-0400)
  anti-aliasing & hdri (Message 11 to 17 of 17)
From: Gilles Tran
Subject: Re: anti-aliasing & hdri
Date: 22 Feb 2005 16:59:09
Message: <421bab2d@news.povray.org>

kurtzlepirate-571F88.16540520022005@news.povray.org...

> any one can explain ?

A demonstration of the problem :

Antialiasing in 3.5
http://www.oyonale.com/temp/glass_demo_35.png

Antialiasing in 3.6
http://www.oyonale.com/temp/glass_demo_36.png

These images are rendered in regular POV-Ray using the same code. The
lighting in the 3.6 version is much better due to the new unclipped
radiosity values, and the sparkling on the glass is more realistic. However,
the antialiasing around the bright pixels is just awful compared to the one
in the 3.5 version.

G.

--
**********************
http://www.oyonale.com

Post a reply to this message

> These images are rendered in regular POV-Ray using the same code. The
> lighting in the 3.6 version is much better due to the new unclipped
> radiosity values, and the sparkling on the glass is more realistic. However,
> the antialiasing around the bright pixels is just awful compared to the one
> in the 3.5 version.

yes but, if I understand Warp correctly, it shouldn't be a problem to only do
pre-clipping with standard anti-aliasing.  I believe everybody agrees that
unclipped colors give better and more realistic results with radiosity (you just
gave an excellent example) and with focal-blur (I made an example once:
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C41d9ed03%40news.povray.o
rg%3E/?ttop=208966&toff=150), but I agree with Warp that with standard
anti-aliasing it causes more problems than it solves.  I don't believe going
back to pre-clipping is the right solution, but maybe color-bleeding is too
difficult to do.

cu!
--
camera{location-z*3}#macro G(b,e)b+(e-b)*(C/50)#end#macro L(b,e,k,l)#local C=0
;#while(C<50)sphere{G(b,e),.1pigment{rgb G(k,l)}finish{ambient 1}}#local C=C+1

Post a reply to this message