POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : To anyone on the POV-Ray team Server Time
18 May 2024 09:25:16 EDT (-0400)
  To anyone on the POV-Ray team (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: David
Subject: To anyone on the POV-Ray team
Date: 8 Jul 2000 15:42:06
Message: <B58CD1FD.158B%davidmccabe@mac.com>
Hi!
I was just wondering, how is it going on POV-Ray 3.5/4.0 (and which one)?

Post a reply to this message

From: Chris Huff
Subject: Re: To anyone on the POV-Ray team
Date: 8 Jul 2000 16:33:38
Message: <chrishuff-96A1BB.15335408072000@news.povray.org>
In article <B58CD1FD.158B%dav### [at] maccom>, David
<dav### [at] maccom> wrote:

> I was just wondering, how is it going on POV-Ray 3.5/4.0 (and which one)?

Will a TAG member suffice? :-)

POV-Ray 3.5 is being actively worked on. Pretty much all I can say right
now is that it should be out sometime this year. It will contain most of
the patches from MegaPOV, but there will of course be some that won't
make it, due to being incomplete, buggy, not fitting in with planned
features, or just not appearing early enough to be integrated with POV
3.5. Oh, and the Mac version may have a new interface, but I do not have
any information on how it will be different from the current one, or on
the other supported platforms.
Also, the syntax for individual MegaPOV features may change. Many of the
patches in MegaPOV have a clumsy/inconsistent syntax, which could be
greatly streamlined and simplified(the reflection syntax is one example).

As for 4.0...the POV-Team is currently devoting their available time to
getting 3.5 out, so there isn't much to report on it. You can get all
the information there is by reading the message "POV-Ray plans for v3.1
and beyond..." in povray.announce.frequently-asked-questions.

TAG Web page: http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message

I want to take opportunity to ask about radiosity... I can see the desire for
the new, more realistic radiosity. I for one appreciated the old/exadurated
method myself... Didn't someone say the perception of reality, is often more
important than the reality of perception,...?
Will the older model of radiosity be incorporated in the new Pov 3.5...?

Chris Huff wrote:

> POV-Ray 3.5 is being actively worked on. Pretty much all I can say right
> now is that it should be out sometime this year. It will contain most of
> the patches from MegaPOV, but there will of course be some that won't
> make it, due to being incomplete, buggy, not fitting in with planned
> features, or just not appearing early enough to be integrated with POV
> 3.5. Oh, and the Mac version may have a new interface, but I do not have
> any information on how it will be different from the current one, or on
> the other supported platforms.

Post a reply to this message

> I want to take opportunity to ask about radiosity... I can see the
> desire for the new, more realistic radiosity. I for one appreciated
> the old/exadurated method myself... Didn't someone say the perception
> of reality, is often more important than the reality of
> perception,...?
> Will the older model of radiosity be incorporated in the new Pov 3.5...?

Most of the improvements from the MegaPOV radiosity will likely make it
into POV-Ray 3.5.
It is faster, easier to learn and use, fixes many bugs, and produces
better results(at least, most people consider them better). You can
still get most of the blotchiness and uneven, unrealistic effects you
got from the old one, you will just have to use different settings.

TAG Web page: http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message

> In article <B58CD1FD.158B%dav### [at] maccom>, David
> <dav### [at] maccom> wrote:
>
>> I was just wondering, how is it going on POV-Ray 3.5/4.0 (and which one)?
>
> Will a TAG member suffice? :-)
>
> POV-Ray 3.5 is being actively worked on. Pretty much all I can say right
> now is that it should be out sometime this year. It will contain most of
> the patches from MegaPOV, but there will of course be some that won't
> make it, due to being incomplete, buggy, not fitting in with planned
> features, or just not appearing early enough to be integrated with POV
> 3.5. Oh, and the Mac version may have a new interface, but I do not have
> any information on how it will be different from the current one, or on
> the other supported platforms.
> Also, the syntax for individual MegaPOV features may change. Many of the
> patches in MegaPOV have a clumsy/inconsistent syntax, which could be
> greatly streamlined and simplified(the reflection syntax is one example).
>
> As for 4.0...the POV-Team is currently devoting their available time to
> getting 3.5 out, so there isn't much to report on it. You can get all
> the information there is by reading the message "POV-Ray plans for v3.1
> and beyond..." in povray.announce.frequently-asked-questions.

Nothing to add here :-)

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg