POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : speed Server Time
18 May 2024 05:35:36 EDT (-0400)
  speed (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Ed Kaiser
Subject: speed
Date: 25 Feb 2001 17:06:38
Message: <3a9981ee@news.povray.org>
So, how does povray perform on a mac anyway?

Post a reply to this message

From: Chris Huff
Subject: Re: speed
Date: 25 Feb 2001 17:26:32
Message: <chrishuff-8FD525.17253925022001@news.povray.org>
In article <3a9981ee@news.povray.org>, "Ed Kaiser"
<eka### [at] camdentdsnet> wrote:

> So, how does povray perform on a mac anyway?

Well, could you be more specific?
The images are the same, of course. As I understand it, the PowerPC
processors used in modern Macs aren't as strong on the FPU side as some
other processors, so a G3 Mac will render more slowly than an Athlon and
probably a Pentium III, if all else is equal (which is, of course, not
possible). I don't know how much slower, though...I'm pretty happy with
my computers. (a 266MHz and a 350MHz G3 Power Mac)
I don't know about the new G4's, they've apparently improved the FPU
performance with the latest version, along with the AltiVec (Velocity
Engine) SIMD stuff (which won't help any current version of POV).

System performance while rendering? If I have POV set to hog the CPU,
things get very sluggish on both my 266MHz G3 and my 350MHz G3 when
running Mac OS 9. If I set it to normal or very light usage, there is
barely any noticeable impact. I haven't done anything with the Carbon
version of MacMegaPOV under OS X, so I don't know how much of a
difference that makes for either rendering speed or system performance.
However, you should be able to disable the GUI in OS X, to squeeze out
every cycle of processor power.

In the "Classic" Mac OS (versions 9.1 and lower), the memory system has
you specify the amount of memory to allocate for POV, and the virtual
memory is not very good. OS X is a huge improvement in this area,
programs can grab more memory as needed, and things should go a lot
faster if they have to use virtual memory, so this is another factor if
you often render memory-consuming scenes.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><

Post a reply to this message