POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : installation problem Server Time
4 May 2024 04:37:27 EDT (-0400)
  installation problem (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Aaron Oppenheimer
Subject: installation problem
Date: 25 Aug 2002 15:38:52
Message: <3D69324B.3090707@attbi.com>
I've downloaded 3.5, build 173. When I run the application, I get only
as far as "Initializing POV-Ray library..." on the splash page; I hear
six error tones and the app freezes. I can kill it with ctrl-cmd-esc.
This is an original iBook, OS 9.0.4, carbonlib  1.6, and I've downloaded
and installed a few times, rebooted, etc. etc.

Anyone know what's up?

Thanks,
Aaron Oppenheimer

Post a reply to this message

In article <3D6### [at] attbicom> , Aaron Oppenheimer <ao0### [at] attbicom>
wrote:

> I've downloaded 3.5, build 173. When I run the application, I get only
> as far as "Initializing POV-Ray library..." on the splash page; I hear
> six error tones and the app freezes. I can kill it with ctrl-cmd-esc.
> This is an original iBook, OS 9.0.4, carbonlib  1.6, and I've downloaded
> and installed a few times, rebooted, etc. etc.

Did you try to reboot with extensions disabled?

If disabling extensions did not help:  In your extensions folder, is there a
folder called "Multiprocessing", and if so, what are its contents?

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg

I am a member of the POV-Ray Team.

>>I've downloaded 3.5, build 173. When I run the application, I get only
>>as far as "Initializing POV-Ray library..." on the splash page; I hear
>>six error tones and the app freezes. I can kill it with ctrl-cmd-esc.
>>This is an original iBook, OS 9.0.4, carbonlib  1.6, and I've downloaded
>>and installed a few times, rebooted, etc. etc.

> Did you try to reboot with extensions disabled?

When I launch POV-Ray with extensions disabled, I get a message that
POVMSLib could not be opened.

> If disabling extensions did not help:  In your extensions folder, is there a
> folder called "Multiprocessing", and if so, what are its contents?

One file: Apple CPU Plugins. It's version 2.4 - there is an update to
version 2.7 on the Apple site, but that seems to be for G4 machines.

Thanks,
Aaron

Post a reply to this message

wrote:

> When I launch POV-Ray with extensions disabled, I get a message that
> POVMSLib could not be opened.

Did you move POVMSLib?  It has to remain where it was!  Do *not* move it
into the extensions folder!  Never move anything from the "POV-Ray Mac 3.5
Folder"!

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

>>When I launch POV-Ray with extensions disabled, I get a message that
>>POVMSLib could not be opened.
>>

> Did you move POVMSLib?  It has to remain where it was!  Do *not* move it
> into the extensions folder!  Never move anything from the "POV-Ray Mac 3.5
> Folder"!

No, I didn't move it; it remains in the POV-Ray folder.

Post a reply to this message

wrote:

> No, I didn't move it; it remains in the POV-Ray folder.

Hmm, but you say you get

> When I launch POV-Ray with extensions disabled, I get a message that
> POVMSLib could not be opened.

which means POVMSLib is in the extensions folder.  The message would not
make sense otherwise.  maybe it would be best to double-check and remove any
POVMSLib that you might have in accidentially copied into the extensions
folder.

    Thorsten

Post a reply to this message