POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Pov 3.5 OSX - not 100% CPU Server Time
4 May 2024 12:06:03 EDT (-0400)
  Pov 3.5 OSX - not 100% CPU (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Jonathan Morton
Subject: Pov 3.5 OSX - not 100% CPU
Date: 11 Jul 2002 16:41:08
Message: <3D2DDEE3.40203@chromatix.demon.co.uk>
Having just installed POV-Ray 3.5 on my PowerBook G3, running MacOS
10.1.5, I was a bit surprised to see it using only about 50-70% CPU,
even with nothing else running and the "Friendliness" set to
"Tyrrannical".  This seems to be independent of whether Preview is
switched on, or the particular scene file in use.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Post a reply to this message

"Jonathan Morton" <chr### [at] chromatixdemoncouk> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:3D2### [at] chromatixdemoncouk...
> Having just installed POV-Ray 3.5 on my PowerBook G3, running MacOS
> 10.1.5, I was a bit surprised to see it using only about 50-70% CPU,
> even with nothing else running and the "Friendliness" set to
> "Tyrrannical".  This seems to be independent of whether Preview is
> switched on, or the particular scene file in use.
>
> Is anyone else seeing this?

This is normal. Under Mac OS X no application may hog the whole CPU.
Thus POV-Ray cannot get as much CPU time as under Mac OS 9.  For this
reason the documentation/requirements recommend using Mac OS 9 for
maximum render speed.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg

I am a member of the POV-Ray Team.

>>Having just installed POV-Ray 3.5 on my PowerBook G3, running MacOS
>>10.1.5, I was a bit surprised to see it using only about 50-70% CPU,
>>even with nothing else running and the "Friendliness" set to
>>"Tyrrannical".  This seems to be independent of whether Preview is
>>switched on, or the particular scene file in use.
>>
>>Is anyone else seeing this?
>
> This is normal. Under Mac OS X no application may hog the whole CPU.
> Thus POV-Ray cannot get as much CPU time as under Mac OS 9.  For this
> reason the documentation/requirements recommend using Mac OS 9 for
> maximum render speed.

I would expect this if other applications were using the CPU, but they
aren't - there's 30-40% CPU completely unused.  Other Carbon-based apps
are able to use 100% (or close to that figure) as required.

Post a reply to this message