POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Pov 3.5 OSX - not 100% CPU : Re: Pov 3.5 OSX - not 100% CPU Server Time
18 May 2024 05:35:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pov 3.5 OSX - not 100% CPU
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 17 Jul 2002 06:17:55
Message: <3d354453@news.povray.org>
In article <3D3### [at] chromatixdemoncouk> , Jonathan Morton
<chr### [at] chromatixdemoncouk>  wrote:

> I would expect this if other applications were using the CPU, but they
> aren't - there's 30-40% CPU completely unused.  Other Carbon-based apps
> are able to use 100% (or close to that figure) as required.

The problem is that rendering is done in a cooperative thread, which means
if that thread takes over the CPU for more than two seconds, POV-Ray will
get blocked by Mac OS X.  As it is not predictable how long the next pixel
will take, the proper way to avoid this is to give time to other cooperative
threads after every pixel.  This should never be a problem:

Of course, Mac OS X should still automatically return the unused time to
POV-Ray, but it fails to do so.  This is a bug in the Mac OS X threading of
Carbon applications, unfortunately :-(

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde