POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Hey, want a 3d converter for all platforms? Server Time
26 Jun 2024 13:00:22 EDT (-0400)
  Hey, want a 3d converter for all platforms? (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: Jon A  Cruz
Subject: Hey, want a 3d converter for all platforms?
Date: 23 Sep 2001 03:06:38
Message: <3BAD8952.BFBCDB67@geocities.com>
Especially Macintosh?

Need something that will output Mesh 2 with UV support?

Things are settling down for me finally, so I can get back to
recreational programming. Seeing the complaints of some Mac users about
there being no tools to create Mesh2 objects for 3.5, I figured it was
time for me to put my money where my mouth is and go ahead and code some
Java utility.

I can program. The docs describe the output. Now all I need is to know
what kind of model files need to go in to get converted. What do you
guys want support for?

My current plan is to do a command-line converter in Java that also has
an optional UI component. It would work under Windows 95, 98, ME, XP,
NT, 2K, Mac OS 9, Mac OS X, Linux, Solaris, Irix, HP-UX, OS/2 and others
with one single unified 'binary'.

Oooh. Sound good? Anyone interested?

--
Jon A. Cruz
http://www.geocities.com/joncruz/action.html

Post a reply to this message

> Need something that will output Mesh 2 with UV support?
>
> Things are settling down for me finally, so I can get back to
> recreational programming. Seeing the complaints of some Mac users about
> there being no tools to create Mesh2 objects for 3.5, I figured it was
> time for me to put my money where my mouth is and go ahead and code some
> Java utility.
>
> I can program. The docs describe the output. Now all I need is to know
> what kind of model files need to go in to get converted. What do you
> guys want support for?
>
> My current plan is to do a command-line converter in Java that also has
> an optional UI component. It would work under Windows 95, 98, ME, XP,
> NT, 2K, Mac OS 9, Mac OS X, Linux, Solaris, Irix, HP-UX, OS/2 and others
> with one single unified 'binary'.
>
> Oooh. Sound good? Anyone interested?

Sounds good for sure.
Interested?. Yes I do.
I would like to see something that converts .obj and .3ds (at least)
and outputs mesh2 with UV-mapping and creates a UDO object to use inside
Moray (for positioning it).
I know 3DWin do that, but I'm looking for a freeware application.
I've tried objuvpov, pose2pov, but none of them give me a UDO object I can
use.
Multiplatform it's a good for me 'cos I use Windows and Linux, and have
friends who use Mac and sure will find it very useful.
Anyway, I'm always interested in converters, and with povray 3.5 I think
it's
a must.
Thanks for your offering.
Waitin' to know further news about it.