POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Hey, want a 3d converter for all platforms? : Re: Hey, want a 3d converter for all platforms? Server Time
29 Jun 2024 06:04:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hey, want a 3d converter for all platforms?
From: Txemi Jendrix
Date: 23 Sep 2001 15:17:53
Message: <3bae3561@news.povray.org>

news:3BAD8952.BFBCDB67@geocities.com...
> Especially Macintosh?
>
> Need something that will output Mesh 2 with UV support?
>
> Things are settling down for me finally, so I can get back to
> recreational programming. Seeing the complaints of some Mac users about
> there being no tools to create Mesh2 objects for 3.5, I figured it was
> time for me to put my money where my mouth is and go ahead and code some
> Java utility.
>
> I can program. The docs describe the output. Now all I need is to know
> what kind of model files need to go in to get converted. What do you
> guys want support for?
>
> My current plan is to do a command-line converter in Java that also has
> an optional UI component. It would work under Windows 95, 98, ME, XP,
> NT, 2K, Mac OS 9, Mac OS X, Linux, Solaris, Irix, HP-UX, OS/2 and others
> with one single unified 'binary'.
>
> Oooh. Sound good? Anyone interested?

Sounds good for sure.
Interested?. Yes I do.
I would like to see something that converts .obj and .3ds (at least)
and outputs mesh2 with UV-mapping and creates a UDO object to use inside
Moray (for positioning it).
I know 3DWin do that, but I'm looking for a freeware application.
I've tried objuvpov, pose2pov, but none of them give me a UDO object I can
use.
Multiplatform it's a good for me 'cos I use Windows and Linux, and have
friends who use Mac and sure will find it very useful.
Anyway, I'm always interested in converters, and with povray 3.5 I think
it's
a must.
Thanks for your offering.
Waitin' to know further news about it.