POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Is there any way to make a custom pattern? Server Time
18 May 2024 04:45:50 EDT (-0400)
  Is there any way to make a custom pattern? (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: John Chatham
Subject: Is there any way to make a custom pattern?
Date: 22 Mar 2001 10:21:17
Message: <3ABA191B.A47B8A97@mail.rit.edu>
I've been using crackle to make randomly placed armor plates, but I also
need to have one plate in a specific location, and have it not overlap
any of the random plates.  What I'd like to do is something like this:

#macro my_pattern (V)
max( crackle (V), spherical (V) )
#end

#declare my_texture = texture{ my_pattern texture_map{...}}

Is there any way to do something like this?
    John Chatham

Post a reply to this message

Hmm.. it's the non-overlapping part that's hard.
Perhaps something like:
texture
{
    spherical
    texture_map
    {
        [0 bigCrackle]
        [0.3 bigCrackle]
        [.30001 smallCrackle]
        [1 smallCrackle]
    }
}

I doubt it will work, but it's worth a try.
______
David McCabe
mcc### [at] yahoocom
http://homepage.mac.com/davidmccabe/
Jesus loves you!

> I've been using crackle to make randomly placed armor plates, but I also
> need to have one plate in a specific location, and have it not overlap
> any of the random plates.  What I'd like to do is something like this:
>
> #macro my_pattern (V)
> max( crackle (V), spherical (V) )
> #end
>
> #declare my_texture = texture{ my_pattern texture_map{...}}

Post a reply to this message

> I've been using crackle to make randomly placed armor plates, but I also
> need to have one plate in a specific location, and have it not overlap
> any of the random plates.  What I'd like to do is something like this:
> #macro my_pattern (V)
> max( crackle (V), spherical (V) )
> #end
> #declare my_texture = texture{ my_pattern texture_map{...}}
> Is there any way to do something like this?

Using MegaPOV, it's easy...just use a function pattern.

#macro MyPattern()
    #local Crackle =
    function {
        pigment {crackle color_map {[0 rgb 0][1 rgb 1]}}
    }
    function {
        max(Crackle(x, y, z), max(0, 1-sqrt(sqr(x) + sqr(y) + sqr(z)))
    }
#end

#declare MyTexture = texture {MyPattern() texture_map{...}}

You could also declare a spherical pigment function and use that instead
of "max(0, 1-sqrt(sqr(x) + sqr(y) + sqr(z))", but it wouldn't be as
flexible, and might be slower. Or it might be faster...
MacMegaPOV is available here:
http://users.skynet.be/smellenbergh/

BTW, it's a good idea to always use at least one capital letter in
variable/macro names, to avoid interference from a keyword in a future
version. Keywords will always be lower-case, so it's easy to avoid name
collisions.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><