POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Announce: MegaPov 0.5a available. Server Time
1 Jul 2024 09:48:30 EDT (-0400)
  Announce: MegaPov 0.5a available. (Message 32 to 41 of 51)
From: 7nospam
Subject: Re: Announce: MegaPov 0.5a available.
Date: 6 Jun 2000 01:41:12
Message: <+4o8OW6uXv4cP019r0RxZF=43Yw9@4ax.com>
On Mon, 05 Jun 2000 14:44:01 -0700, David <dav### [at] maccom> wrote:

> And why is PNG the only other option? What about PICT?

PICT is primarily a "Mac" format. PNG is far more cross-patform, and
is designed specifically to be a superior replacement for the GIF
format.

>Or JPEG?

JPEG is certainly useful, but it is too lossy and has too many
artifacts for many people's needs.

PNG is lossless. PNG files can also be created as true-color images,
or with palettes, similar to GIF palette-based images.  JPEG images
can't be created as palette-based images. Palette-based images
actually have their uses in POV-Ray, especially as input-images.

>Why does anyone use GIF anyway?

There are some "input-file" applications that only work well with GIF.
Certain types of filtering, in their use as image_maps, for example. I
don't think PNG's behaved in exactly the same manner in all cases, but
the exact details of the descrepancies escape my memory at the moment.

Later,
Glen Berry

7no### [at] ezwvcom
(Remove the "7" to reply via email.)