POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Re: Layered texture problem Server Time
26 Jun 2024 13:06:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Layered texture problem (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Subject: Re: Layered texture problem
Date: 18 Jul 1999 03:58:46
Message: <37918936@news.povray.org>
Hello, would anybody here in the newusers group be so kind help him?

    Thanks in advance, Thorsten

In article <379### [at] unforgettablecom> , Xplo Eristotle
<inq### [at] unforgettablecom>  wrote:
> But now onto my problem...

> Anyway, the field has two texture layers on it. The first one (and hence
> the "bottom" layer) is a bright sandy agate that works marvellously to
> produce sand. The second is a y gradient composed of bands of dark
> filtering brown and complete transparency, which is intended to darken
> the parts of the height field that are touching the edge of the water
> (for a "wet sand" look).
>
> The problem is that when I apply the two textures to the side of a
> simple box (for testing), they combine as expected, but when applied to
> the height field the second texture doesn't show up.
>
> Here's the height field code, in case anyone can glean anything helpful
> from it:
>
> height_field
>  {
>  tga "dirt.tga"
>  smooth
>  texture
>   {
>   pigment
>    {
>    agate
>    color_map
>     {
>     [0.2 color rgb <1,.9,.8>]
>     [0.4 color rgb <.8,.7,.6>]
>     [0.7 color rgb <1,.8,.6>]
>     [1 color rgb <.8,.6,.4>]
>     }
>    }
>   }
>  texture
>   {
>   pigment
>    {
>    gradient y
>    color_map
>     {
>     [0.4375 color rgbf <1,1,1,1>]
>     [0.4375 color rgbf <.5,.5,.5,1>]
>     [0.6 color rgbf <.5,.5,.5,1>]
>     [0.6 color rgbf <1,1,1,1>]
>     }
>    scale 4
>    translate <0,-2,0>
>    }
>   }
>  scale <150,4,150>
>  translate <-75,-2,-10>
>  }

I have cross-posted your problem to povray.newusers because there you get a
much more qualified response from experienced artists :-)

> Does transforming an object also transform its texture(s)? I wouldn't
> expect it to, but if so, that might explain my problem (it hadn't
> occurred to me until just now).

Yes.

> If this isn't enough information, I can provide the scene file as well
> as the Targa file for the height field (warning: the .tga is a few
> hundred k) and a 640 x 480 PICT.

Hmm, I don't think that is needed. Usually any heigh-field can be used to
reproduce your problem.

> First I want to say "good job" to the Mac POV-Ray guys out there, I'm
> using 3.1g on a 68k Mac and I haven't hit a bug yet. If this is going to
> be the last 68k version, at least you guys seem to have gotten it right.
> :)

Thanky you!  And yet, it will definetly be the last version for 68K Macs.

> But now onto my problem...
>
> I've been trying to create a scene that uses a height field as terrain,
> and the field is superimposed on a box which is meant to look like
> water. (The idea is for the water to sit in the lower parts of the
> field, but still allow the field to be visible under the surface of the
> water. It doesn't work as intended, but I tried. Testing reflection and
> transparency effects takes a long time on an LC040/25, you know. -_-; )

Yes, sad but true - without a floating-point unit it is another 10 times
slower...

     Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg

I am a member of the POV-Ray Team.

> Hello, would anybody here in the newusers group be so kind help him?
>
>     Thanks in advance, Thorsten

You bet !

> > But now onto my problem...
>
> > Anyway, the field has two texture layers on it. The first one (and hence
> > the "bottom" layer) is a bright sandy agate that works marvellously to
> > produce sand. The second is a y gradient composed of bands of dark
> > filtering brown and complete transparency, which is intended to darken
> > the parts of the height field that are touching the edge of the water
> > (for a "wet sand" look).
> >
> > The problem is that when I apply the two textures to the side of a
> > simple box (for testing), they combine as expected, but when applied to
> > the height field the second texture doesn't show up.
> >
> > Here's the height field code, in case anyone can glean anything helpful
> > from it:

  Try the following changes and see if they help. What I did was reduce the
filter amount in the second layer a bit plus added a finish statement to
each texture. This allows you to control how "bright" the underlying layer
is to a certain extent along with the filtering amount controlling how
much of the lower layer is allowed to show through. It looked pretty good
with the HF I applied it to using the settings I choose below but you
need to tailor them to your own scene. I also added a little turbulence
to the gradient pattern so it looked a little more natural rather than
perfectly banded gradients.

 height_field
  {
  tga "dirt.tga"
  smooth translate <-.5,0,-.5>
  texture
   {
   pigment
    {
    agate
    color_map
     {
     [0.2 color rgb <1,.9,.8>]
     [0.4 color rgb <.8,.7,.6>]
     [0.7 color rgb <1,.8,.6>]
     [1 color rgb <.8,.6,.4>]
     }
    }
   finish
    {
      ambient .3 diffuse .45 // change these to make this layer lighter/darker
     }
    }
  texture
   {
   pigment
    {
    gradient y
     turbulence <.1,.3,.1>
    color_map
     {
     [0.4375 rgbf < 1, 1, 1,.51>]
     [0.4375 rgbf <.5,.5,.5,.51>]
     [0.6000 rgbf <.5,.5,.5,.51>]
     [0.6000 rgbf < 1, 1, 1,.51>]
     }
    scale 4
    translate <0,-2,0>
    }
     finish
      {
      ambient .13 diffuse .2 // change these to make this layer lighter/darker
     }
   }
  scale <150,4,150>
   translate <-75,-2,-10>