POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 4 color maps from Python's Matplotlib Server Time
30 Nov 2022 02:08:13 EST (-0500)
  4 color maps from Python's Matplotlib (Message 6 to 15 of 15)  
<<< Previous 5 Messages Goto Initial 10 Messages
From: Kenneth
Subject: Re: 4 color maps from Python's Matplotlib
Date: 30 Jan 2022 15:15:00
Message: <web.61f6f0ba3e1033444cef624e6e066e29@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
>
> Is there a reason for this behaviour?
>

My guess is that there are some hard-coded values in the web-portal HTML/CSS
code (or whatever is used here), so that the preview does not extend outside of
a certain prescribed 'box-like' area.

I wonder if there is a similar kind of truncation of tall/skinny image posts?


Post a reply to this message

From: Cousin Ricky
Subject: Re: 4 color maps from Python's Matplotlib
Date: 30 Jan 2022 16:14:16
Message: <61f6ffa8@news.povray.org>
On 2022-01-30 16:10 (-4), Kenneth wrote:
> 
> I wonder if there is a similar kind of truncation of tall/skinny image posts?

One way to find out:


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'tall.jpg' (15 KB)

Preview of image 'tall.jpg'
tall.jpg


 

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: 4 color maps from Python's Matplotlib
Date: 31 Jan 2022 03:20:04
Message: <61f79bb4@news.povray.org>
Op 30-1-2022 om 22:14 schreef Cousin Ricky:
> On 2022-01-30 16:10 (-4), Kenneth wrote:
>>
>> I wonder if there is a similar kind of truncation of tall/skinny image posts?
> 
> One way to find out:

And so there is indeed.

I guess this is because the image is posted in a newsgroup where they 
are normally "not allowed" ?

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Kenneth
Subject: Re: 4 color maps from Python's Matplotlib
Date: 31 Jan 2022 06:50:00
Message: <web.61f7cbd93e1033444cef624e6e066e29@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
>
> And so there is indeed.
>
> I guess this is because the image is posted in a newsgroup where they
> are normally "not allowed" ?
>

Nope; I took a look at one of my older oddly-shaped image posts in
binaries:images, and its preview is truncated there as well.

IIRC, I've also 'seen' previews there that had no visible preview at all; my
guess at the time was that the image was too hi-rez for the preview to deal
with, in some way. (?)


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: 4 color maps from Python's Matplotlib
Date: 31 Jan 2022 07:31:02
Message: <61f7d686$1@news.povray.org>
Op 31-1-2022 om 12:45 schreef Kenneth:
> Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
>>
>> And so there is indeed.
>>
>> I guess this is because the image is posted in a newsgroup where they
>> are normally "not allowed" ?
>>
> 
> Nope; I took a look at one of my older oddly-shaped image posts in
> binaries:images, and its preview is truncated there as well.
> 
> IIRC, I've also 'seen' previews there that had no visible preview at all; my
> guess at the time was that the image was too hi-rez for the preview to deal
> with, in some way. (?)
> 

Weird. I would say this is *not* a correct behaviour, especially in 
p.b.i. We should expect a complete reproduction of the render, whatever 
its format, as this is an essential choice of the author.

Any ideas from those in charge? :-)

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Dave Blandston
Subject: Re: 4 color maps from Python's Matplotlib
Date: 31 Jan 2022 23:25:00
Message: <web.61f8b5c13e1033442636f1af607c1b34@news.povray.org>
"Tor Olav Kristensen" <tor### [at] TOBEREMOVEDgmailcom> wrote:
> I've now made a GitHub repository with color maps for POV-Ray v3.7 from the
> Plasma, Inferno, Magma and Viridis color maps in Python's Matplotlib.


Those are really useful gradients. I used the Inferno one in a recent project
and learned a little about the way they were developed - it's fascinating. It
took me a while to find the data so your post is an excellent idea!

Kind regards,
Dave Blandston


Post a reply to this message

From: Kenneth
Subject: Re: 4 color maps from Python's Matplotlib
Date: 1 Feb 2022 15:15:00
Message: <web.61f993a63e1033444cef624e6e066e29@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>
> Nope; I took a look at one of my older oddly-shaped image posts in
> binaries:images, and its preview is truncated there as well.
>

It occurred to me that there might be two different meanings of 'preview' here:
One is the little thumbnail-sized image that we see when we scroll through the
messages in the web-portal. That's the one that can be truncated. The other is
when we click on that thumbnail-- which brings up the full non-truncated image
in its own window.

Just to clarify ;-)


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: 4 color maps from Python's Matplotlib
Date: 2 Feb 2022 02:15:49
Message: <61fa2fa5$1@news.povray.org>
Op 01/02/2022 om 21:10 schreef Kenneth:
> "Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>>
>> Nope; I took a look at one of my older oddly-shaped image posts in
>> binaries:images, and its preview is truncated there as well.
>>
> 
> It occurred to me that there might be two different meanings of 'preview' here:
> One is the little thumbnail-sized image that we see when we scroll through the
> messages in the web-portal. That's the one that can be truncated. The other is
> when we click on that thumbnail-- which brings up the full non-truncated image
> in its own window.
> 
> Just to clarify ;-)
> 
>

AHA! I almost choked on my morning frog pill!

I certainly mixed up the two 'meanings' of preview. I naively thought 
that the thumbnail /always/ reproduced the full image; clearly not. No 
matter. I can live with that. Just learned something new today. :-)

Thanks Kenneth!

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Subject: Re: 4 color maps from Python's Matplotlib
Date: 6 Feb 2022 13:15:00
Message: <web.62000fb73e103344501ba4b089db30a9@news.povray.org>
"Dave Blandston" <IsN### [at] protonmailch> wrote:
> "Tor Olav Kristensen" <tor### [at] TOBEREMOVEDgmailcom> wrote:
> > I've now made a GitHub repository with color maps for POV-Ray v3.7 from the
> > Plasma, Inferno, Magma and Viridis color maps in Python's Matplotlib.
>
>
> Those are really useful gradients. I used the Inferno one in a recent project
> and learned a little about the way they were developed - it's fascinating. It
> took me a while to find the data so your post is an excellent idea!

Thank you Dave!

While experimenting with Python's matplotlib and some medical CT-scanned images,
I learned about the qualities of different color maps. Interesting stuff.

Now I hope that other POV-Ray people will find them useful.

--
Tor Olav
http://subcube.com
https://github.com/t-o-k


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: 4 color maps from Python's Matplotlib
Date: 7 Feb 2022 02:26:38
Message: <6200c9ae$1@news.povray.org>
Op 06/02/2022 om 19:13 schreef Tor Olav Kristensen:
> Now I hope that other POV-Ray people will find them useful.
> 

Oh yes! One way or another they will find their way... if not only as 
eye candy. :-)

Thanks for your efforts!

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 5 Messages Goto Initial 10 Messages

Copyright 2003-2021 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.