POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Blurring pigments by distance from camera Server Time
28 Mar 2024 15:20:29 EDT (-0400)
  Blurring pigments by distance from camera (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Subject: Blurring pigments by distance from camera
Date: 25 Jul 2021 16:55:00
Message: <web.60fdce56529a03fd58d7bd3989db30a9@news.povray.org>
Hi

Mike Horvath suggested here;

Newsgroup: povray.binaries.images
Subject: Re: First image posting
Date: 2021-07-21 16:59:38
https://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/message/%3C60d8e6ba%241%40news.povray.org%3E

- that my gaussian blur macros could be modified to blur a pigment so that the
amount of blurring increases along with the distance from the camera.

Since then I have been pondering whether that is possible.

Now I have found a way to do something like that by using my gaussian blur
library and some new code.

The attached image shows the result. Here a union of many boxes is textured with
a single blurred version of a grid-like pigment. I'll also post an image with a
non blurred version of the same pigment.

To test my code further it would be nice if someone could provide me with a
simple sample scene where this might be useful.

--
Tor Olav
http://subcube.com

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'pigmentblurredbydistance.png' (1042 KB)

Preview of image 'pigmentblurredbydistance.png'

"Tor Olav Kristensen" <tor### [at] TOBEREMOVEDgmailcom> wrote:
> The attached image shows the result. Here a union of many boxes is textured with
> a single blurred version of a grid-like pigment. I'll also post an image with a
> non blurred version of the same pigment.

Here's that image.

--
Tor Olav
http://subcube.com

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'pigmentnotblurredbydistance.png' (577 KB)

Preview of image 'pigmentnotblurredbydistance.png'

Op 25-7-2021 om 22:51 schreef Tor Olav Kristensen:
> Hi
>
> Mike Horvath suggested here;
>
> Newsgroup: povray.binaries.images
> Subject: Re: First image posting
> Date: 2021-07-21 16:59:38

https://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/message/%3C60d8e6ba%241%40news.povray.org%3E

> - that my gaussian blur macros could be modified to blur a pigment so that the
> amount of blurring increases along with the distance from the camera.
>
> Since then I have been pondering whether that is possible.
>
> Now I have found a way to do something like that by using my gaussian blur
> library and some new code.
>
> The attached image shows the result. Here a union of many boxes is textured with
> a single blurred version of a grid-like pigment. I'll also post an image with a
> non blurred version of the same pigment.
>
> To test my code further it would be nice if someone could provide me with a
> simple sample scene where this might be useful.

Maybe it is the grid pattern, but I am not entirely convinced. The more
blurred patterns in the background seem at first glance to be 'larger'
than the non blurred ones in the foreground, which is not the intention
of course. The idea however, is particularly interesting. By
blurred-with-distance I would perhaps understand more a 'simplification'
of the pattern rather than a 'blurring' like this. I don't know how to
express this correctly. You are probably on the right track though, but
it needs more thinking (at least for me).

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

> blurred-with-distance I would perhaps understand more a
> 'simplification' of the pattern rather than a 'blurring' like this. I
> don't know how to express this correctly.

You mean, distance dependent resolution reduction? Smaller details get
lost even when the image/texture is 'sharp'.

Tor Olav, the effect is very strange. The blurred texture with the still
sharp boxes. I like it.

Ingo

--
https://ingoogni.nl

Post a reply to this message

>> blurred-with-distance I would perhaps understand more a
>> 'simplification' of the pattern rather than a 'blurring' like this. I
>> don't know how to express this correctly.
>
> You mean, distance dependent resolution reduction? Smaller details get
> lost even when the image/texture is 'sharp'.

Yes, that would nicely cover (part of) my thoughts indeed.

> Tor Olav, the effect is very strange. The blurred texture with the still
> sharp boxes. I like it.

I agree.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Date: 26 Jul 2021 13:15:00
Message: <web.60feecb12d519f151f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
By
> blurred-with-distance I would perhaps understand more a 'simplification'
> of the pattern rather than a 'blurring' like this. I don't know how to
> express this correctly. You are probably on the right track though, but
> it needs more thinking (at least for me).

Isn't that sorta what "mip-mapping" is all about?

Post a reply to this message

From: Zeger Knaepen
Date: 26 Jul 2021 16:11:20
Message: <60ff16e8$1@news.povray.org>
On 21/07/26 19:11, Bald Eagle wrote:
> By
>> blurred-with-distance I would perhaps understand more a 'simplification'
>> of the pattern rather than a 'blurring' like this. I don't know how to
>> express this correctly. You are probably on the right track though, but
>> it needs more thinking (at least for me).
>

> Isn't that sorta what "mip-mapping" is all about?

I was thinking the same thing..
When I was rendering my Babylon-video (
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAckZrhGN3U , looks awfully dated now
:)) I did something similar to decrease rendertime.
By simplifying the textures depending on distance and viewing angle, I
didn't need that high AA settings, often resulting in render times of
seconds instead of minutes.

It's difficult to automate the process for every kind of texture,
though. Or rather: it's difficult to automate it while not making it
slower than just using a higher AA setting :)

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 27 Jul 2021 02:08:56
Message: <60ffa2f8$1@news.povray.org>
Op 26/07/2021 om 19:11 schreef Bald Eagle:
> By
>> blurred-with-distance I would perhaps understand more a 'simplification'
>> of the pattern rather than a 'blurring' like this. I don't know how to
>> express this correctly. You are probably on the right track though, but
>> it needs more thinking (at least for me).
>

> Isn't that sorta what "mip-mapping" is all about?

Indeed. The key to that particular box in my memory was lost. :-)

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Mr
Date: 27 Jul 2021 07:45:00
Message: <web.60fff19d2d519f1516086ed03f378f2@news.povray.org>
"Tor Olav Kristensen" <tor### [at] TOBEREMOVEDgmailcom> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Mike Horvath suggested here;
>
> Newsgroup: povray.binaries.images
> Subject: Re: First image posting
> Date: 2021-07-21 16:59:38

https://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/message/%3C60d8e6ba%241%40news.povray.org%3E

> - that my gaussian blur macros could be modified to blur a pigment so that the
> amount of blurring increases along with the distance from the camera.

Couldn't that be used to create a blurry reflection? (if the pigment is used in
a texture_map blending between reflective and non reflective)?

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 27 Jul 2021 15:30:29
Message: <61005ed5$1@news.povray.org>
Am 27.07.2021 um 13:44 schrieb Mr:

> Couldn't that be used to create a blurry reflection? (if the pigment is used in
> a texture_map blending between reflective and non reflective)?

That's not quite the same as blurred reflections.