POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : What is the PovWin editor's line length limit? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 04:16:52 EDT (-0400)
  What is the PovWin editor's line length limit? (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Brian Elliott
Subject: What is the PovWin editor's line length limit?
Date: 4 Jul 2004 05:10:20
Message: <40e7c97c@news.povray.org>
Hi all,

I had a first-time fiddle with Wings-3D this afternoon to see what it's all
about, and I exported the first object played with to a PoV-Ray mesh2 -
using a bolt-on POV export plug-in.

When the .pov file was loaded into PovRay exactly as written by the
exporter, every mesh2 clause - ie. vertex_vectors, normal_vectors,
face_indices, etc - was a long SINGLE line extending to somewhat over 3,000
characters each.

Now, the long lines DID load without truncation or error.  The language
engine couldn't colour-code keywords on the long lines, but that was
trivially solved by manually breaking it up with linefeeds.

However this model is a fairly modest mesh - 105 vertex vectors, 206 face
indices of a "played-with" dodecahedron.  With a complex mesh2, one line
could run to tens of thousands of characters.

SO...  Given I cannot make this plug-in from Wings-3D insert frequent LFs,
and wondering if manual text filtering could be necessary; What is the
editor's line length limit?

Cheers,
    Brian

Post a reply to this message

> I had a first-time fiddle with Wings-3D this afternoon to see what it's all
> about, and I exported the first object played with to a PoV-Ray mesh2 -
> using a bolt-on POV export plug-in.
>
> When the .pov file was loaded into PovRay exactly as written by the
> exporter, every mesh2 clause - ie. vertex_vectors, normal_vectors,
> face_indices, etc - was a long SINGLE line extending to somewhat over 3,000
> characters each.

You should notice a few things.

- POV-Ray does not care about the line endings, if the WinPOV editor has
trouble with them this is a completely different issue.
- you can of course easily add line endings anywhere a whitespace occurs
in the file without affecting POV-Ray's ability to interpret the script.
  A 'sed "s? ?\n?g"' would for example replace every space with a newline.

Christoph

Last updated 01 May. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message

He'll have to install cygwin to do that. :)

Post a reply to this message