POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Does disc normal vector interfere with scattering media? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 10:19:42 EDT (-0400)
  Does disc normal vector interfere with scattering media? (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Scott Gammans
Subject: Does disc normal vector interfere with scattering media?
Date: 22 Mar 2004 21:10:20
Message: <405f9c8c$1@news.povray.org>
I created a model of Saturn using a disc for the rings, but I kept running
into a strange problem that I'm wondering if it's a bug.

To depict the gas giant's atmosphere, I added type 4 scattering media to the
planet sphere to give a little pale yellow glow at the edge of the sphere.
But when I placed the camera either above or below the rings **inside** the
outer radius of the rings, the scattering media on the sphere disappeared on
the side of the disc that was the **opposite** of the disc's normal vector.

For instance, if I declared the rings disc like this:

#declare Saturn_Rings =  disc {0, y, 4500, 2250 texture {...}}

and I placed the camera at <0,-100,2500>, the atmospheric scattering on the
edge of the Saturn sphere would disappear below the plane of the disc. If I
reversed the vector like so:

#declare Saturn_Rings =  disc {0, -y, 4500, 2250 texture {...}}

and re-ran the render, the scattering edge would reappear below the plane of
the disc, but it would disappear **above** the disc plane.

I know I'm not declaring the media on the planet incorrectly, because the
problem went away when I substituted a very, very thin cylinder for the disc
to depict the rings (the media on the sphere was visible no matter where I
placed the camera).

So, is this a known problem with the disc object and I missed it in the
documentation and the bug reports forum, or what? Thanks...

Post a reply to this message

Scott Gammans nous apporta ses lumieres ainsi en ce 2004/03/22 21:10... :

>I created a model of Saturn using a disc for the rings, but I kept running
>into a strange problem that I'm wondering if it's a bug.
>
>To depict the gas giant's atmosphere, I added type 4 scattering media to the
>planet sphere to give a little pale yellow glow at the edge of the sphere.
>But when I placed the camera either above or below the rings **inside** the
>outer radius of the rings, the scattering media on the sphere disappeared on
>the side of the disc that was the **opposite** of the disc's normal vector.
>
>For instance, if I declared the rings disc like this:
>
>#declare Saturn_Rings =  disc {0, y, 4500, 2250 texture {...}}
>
>and I placed the camera at <0,-100,2500>, the atmospheric scattering on the
>edge of the Saturn sphere would disappear below the plane of the disc. If I
>reversed the vector like so:
>
>#declare Saturn_Rings =  disc {0, -y, 4500, 2250 texture {...}}
>
>and re-ran the render, the scattering edge would reappear below the plane of
>the disc, but it would disappear **above** the disc plane.
>
>I know I'm not declaring the media on the planet incorrectly, because the
>problem went away when I substituted a very, very thin cylinder for the disc
>to depict the rings (the media on the sphere was visible no matter where I
>placed the camera).
>
>So, is this a known problem with the disc object and I missed it in the
>documentation and the bug reports forum, or what? Thanks...

Did you try to make your disk hollow?
It looks like the disk is a piece cut out of a plane.
#declare Saturn_Rings = disc {0, -y, 4500, 2250 texture {...}hollow}

Alain

Post a reply to this message

First of all, you definitely should win tonight's prize for fastest response
(8 minutes!).

It never would have occurred to me to add the "hollow" keyword; I thought a
disc was supposed to be infinitely thin and that "hollow" wouldn't apply.

But sure enough, once I added "hollow" to the disc definition, the problem
disappeared. Thanks!

"Alain" <aze### [at] qwertygov> wrote in message
> Scott Gammans nous apporta ses lumieres ainsi en ce 2004/03/22 21:10... :
>
> >I created a model of Saturn using a disc for the rings, but I kept
running
> >into a strange problem that I'm wondering if it's a bug.
> >
> >To depict the gas giant's atmosphere, I added type 4 scattering media to
the
> >planet sphere to give a little pale yellow glow at the edge of the
sphere.
> >But when I placed the camera either above or below the rings **inside**
the
> >outer radius of the rings, the scattering media on the sphere disappeared
on
> >the side of the disc that was the **opposite** of the disc's normal
vector.

> >For instance, if I declared the rings disc like this:
> >
> >#declare Saturn_Rings =  disc {0, y, 4500, 2250 texture {...}}
> >
> >and I placed the camera at <0,-100,2500>, the atmospheric scattering on
the
> >edge of the Saturn sphere would disappear below the plane of the disc. If
> >reversed the vector like so:
> >
> >#declare Saturn_Rings =  disc {0, -y, 4500, 2250 texture {...}}
> >
> >and re-ran the render, the scattering edge would reappear below the plane
of
> >the disc, but it would disappear **above** the disc plane.
> >
> >I know I'm not declaring the media on the planet incorrectly, because the
> >problem went away when I substituted a very, very thin cylinder for the
disc
> >to depict the rings (the media on the sphere was visible no matter where
> >placed the camera).
> >
> >So, is this a known problem with the disc object and I missed it in the
> >documentation and the bug reports forum, or what? Thanks...
> >

> Did you try to make your disk hollow?
> It looks like the disk is a piece cut out of a plane.
> #declare Saturn_Rings = disc {0, -y, 4500, 2250 texture {...}hollow}
>
> Alain

Post a reply to this message