POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 48-bit PNG output from POVRay garbled in Photoshop Server Time
6 Aug 2024 04:15:42 EDT (-0400)
  48-bit PNG output from POVRay garbled in Photoshop (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: George Pantazopoulos
Subject: 48-bit PNG output from POVRay garbled in Photoshop
Date: 1 Jul 2002 23:49:50
Message: <3d2122de$1@news.povray.org>
Hey all,
    When I output a PNG file with Bits_Per_Color=16, loading it into
Photoshop 6.0 does not produce a recognizable image. Is there something
wrong with POV's 48-bit PNG output, or am I missing something here? I would
prefer to just output a PPM with a .raw extension, but theres no way to
automate this anymore as +FR was dropped. I'd rather not have to use
+oImage.raw becaue then I lose the ability to have the scene file name in
the image. (Photoshop does not read PPM files with a .ppm extension, they
have to be loaded as .raw).

Any ideas on getting POVRay to output a 48-bit PNG (or other 48-bit file
format) suitable for Photoshop?

Thanks,
George Pantazopoulos

Post a reply to this message

>     When I output a PNG file with Bits_Per_Color=16, loading it into
> Photoshop 6.0 does not produce a recognizable image. Is there something
> wrong with POV's 48-bit PNG output, or am I missing something here? I would
> prefer to just output a PPM with a .raw extension, but theres no way to
> automate this anymore as +FR was dropped. I'd rather not have to use
> +oImage.raw becaue then I lose the ability to have the scene file name in
> the image. (Photoshop does not read PPM files with a .ppm extension, they
> have to be loaded as .raw).
>
> Any ideas on getting POVRay to output a 48-bit PNG (or other 48-bit file
> format) suitable for Photoshop?

This has been reported before. Most people agree that for some reason
Photoshop has poor support for the .png file format and there is little
that can be done with POV-Ray to fix it. If they try to support the
format that Photoshop can use then it breaks the .png support for all
of the other programs that can use the png files that POV-Ray produces.

My sugestion: Complain to the makes of Photoshop and get them to fix
their program.

--
Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message

    In light of this situation, is there a way to get POVRay to output a PPM
image but change the file extension? I dont want to do +fp16 +oImage.raw
because I would lose the ability to have the scene name in the filename. Is
there a way to specify a custom file extension in POVRay? (I'd like to have
something like this being saved to disk: <scene file name>.raw )

Thanks again,
George Pantazopoulos

news:3D2### [at] pacbellnet...

> George Pantazopoulos wrote:
> >
> > Hey all,
> >     When I output a PNG file with Bits_Per_Color=16, loading it into
> > Photoshop 6.0 does not produce a recognizable image. Is there something
> > wrong with POV's 48-bit PNG output, or am I missing something here? I
would
> > prefer to just output a PPM with a .raw extension, but theres no way to
> > automate this anymore as +FR was dropped. I'd rather not have to use
> > +oImage.raw becaue then I lose the ability to have the scene file name
in
> > the image. (Photoshop does not read PPM files with a .ppm extension,
they
> > have to be loaded as .raw).
> >
> > Any ideas on getting POVRay to output a 48-bit PNG (or other 48-bit file
> > format) suitable for Photoshop?
>
> This has been reported before. Most people agree that for some reason
> Photoshop has poor support for the .png file format and there is little
> that can be done with POV-Ray to fix it. If they try to support the
> format that Photoshop can use then it breaks the .png support for all
> of the other programs that can use the png files that POV-Ray produces.
>
> My sugestion: Complain to the makes of Photoshop and get them to fix
> their program.
>
> --
> Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message

> This has been reported before. Most people agree that for some reason
> Photoshop has poor support for the .png file format and there is little
> that can be done with POV-Ray to fix it.

  I just tried to create a 48-bit PNG with POV-Ray and Gimp, ACDSee or
Mozilla didn't have any problem with it, so it really has to be some
problem with Photoshop itself.