POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Ior mapping? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 04:16:16 EDT (-0400)
  Ior mapping? (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: TinCanMan
Subject: Ior mapping?
Date: 11 Jun 2002 07:56:14
Message: <3d05e55e$1@news.povray.org>
I was thinking about this the other night and am not sure how possible or
easy to do it would be.  Would it be possible to make a patched POV that
could use 'ior mapping', i.e., ior values could use something like a density
map for varying ior values within a material.  I was thinking this could
come in handy in some different situations such as mirages or that
appearance you get looking at hot pavement (I can't remember what to call
it) or for modeling of non-homogeneous materials.
I'm not much of a POV programmer myself so I don't think I would be up to
the task, but perhaps someone else is interested in the idea, if it's even
possible.

-tgq

Post a reply to this message

> I was thinking about this the other night and am not sure how possible or
> easy to do it would be.  Would it be possible to make a patched POV that
> could use 'ior mapping', i.e., ior values could use something like a density
> map for varying ior values within a material.  I was thinking this could
> come in handy in some different situations such as mirages or that
> appearance you get looking at hot pavement (I can't remember what to call
> it) or for modeling of non-homogeneous materials.
> I'm not much of a POV programmer myself so I don't think I would be up to
> the task, but perhaps someone else is interested in the idea, if it's even
> possible.

http://www.students.tut.fi/~warp/povQandT/languageQandT.html#variableior

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,
Last updated 02 Jun. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message

I guess it makes sense that it would be very difficult to solve. Back to the
drawing board (or rendering screen rather)

-tgq

Post a reply to this message

> I was thinking about this the other night and am not sure how possible or
> easy to do it would be.  Would it be possible to make a patched POV that
> could use 'ior mapping', i.e., ior values could use something like a density
> map for varying ior values within a material.  I was thinking this could
> come in handy in some different situations such as mirages or that
> appearance you get looking at hot pavement (I can't remember what to call
> it) or for modeling of non-homogeneous materials.
> I'm not much of a POV programmer myself so I don't think I would be up to
> the task, but perhaps someone else is interested in the idea, if it's even
> possible.
>
> -tgq

I haven't tried it, but you might be able to get something like it with
a bunch of clear cylinders between you and the mirage, axis of cylinder
perpendicular (or not quite ?) to the camera, different iors in each
cylinder.

--
Tom A.
The problem was that Apostles were hard to come by and, worse, they had

Post a reply to this message

> I haven't tried it, but you might be able to get something like it with
> a bunch of clear cylinders between you and the mirage, axis of cylinder
> perpendicular (or not quite ?) to the camera, different iors in each
> cylinder.

  Remember to raise max_trace_level accordingly and be prepared for a
really long render... ;)