POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : mesh2udo:-) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:19:47 EDT (-0400)
  mesh2udo:-) (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Thomas Lake
Subject: mesh2udo:-)
Date: 2 May 2002 01:13:53
Message: <3cd0cb11$1@news.povray.org>
After more hours of work here is my 3rd app:-) I think this one is actually
useful. What it does is take any mesh defined in a file in the pov-ray mesh
standard and creates an INC and UDO file so the mesh can be imported into
moray and rendered along side anything else in moray. For example take a
look at the chess.inc file in the Pov-Ray 3.1 example scene files. This file
contains a mesh of 2 chess pieces a rook and a knight. Normally you would be
stuck if you wanted to import these into a Moray scene because there are no
converters, to my knowledge, that import pov-ray files. However my until
creates a perfectly good UDO and accompanying INC file which you can import
right into Moray. Just take a look at the images bellow. The 747 is a 3Ds
Max file I converted to a pov-ray mesh and then converted to a INC/UDO using
my app. I've also tested this on some very complex objects I created in
Rhinoceros and it works fine. Now for Rhinoceros its not of much use since
it already exports to Moray. However for those who do not have it this may
be useful. I can also see using this until to import meshes created by
pov-ray macro's, it also automatically converts the meshes from Pov-Ray's
left handed coordinate system to Moray's right handed system. As you can
tell I'm quite proud of myself with this little creation seeing as I have
almost 0 experience working with meshes and its only my 3rd or 4th
program:-) There are some limitations to this app still, seeing as I wrote
it in about 4 hours. The major ones are:

-No texture support that is it ignores all textures in the original pov-ray
mesh file, you can of course texture the mesh in Moray.
-No polygon/edge reduction. Every vertex is connected directly to the last
without checking if the edge already exists, this means my app creates 2 -3
times more edges than rhinoceros or 3dwin. This is of course only for the
UDO.
-Objects named automatically, eg Object0,Object1.... etc.

If anyone thinks my app is actually useful I can post it in p.b.u. And try
to work on some of the above.

[See p.b.i for images]

Home Page: http://www.geocities.com/~thomaslake/

Post a reply to this message

Please post it. I would be very interested in trying it out.

Hey, as long as you are in the mood for creating utilities for Moray, how
about one that makes it possible to use Chris Colfax's "Bend" program in
Moray?

Steve Shelby

Post a reply to this message