POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Earth view from orbit - media functions? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:14:52 EDT (-0400)
  Earth view from orbit - media functions? (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
Subject: Earth view from orbit - media functions?
Date: 21 Sep 2000 20:20:05
Message: <39CA7A38.D6EBDB24@ndh.net>
Hi Tracers!

Currently I'm working on a not-too-large project, a view over Earth from
an altitude of about 300 to 600 miles, with the sun not much above the
horizon, just casting the first morning light on the surface before the
viewer (at least finally; at the moment I would even be glad if it
worked correctly with the sun overhead).

As I still have dug somewhat into PoV 3.1, I think it would be doable
only when placing a transparent (hollow!) outer atmosphere sphere around
the solid Earth body (the atmosphere with a radius of 6.528 km compared
to 6.378 km for the planet itself) and then filling this sphere with an
interior/media, setting emission color and scattering etc.

But whatever scattering mode I use, I never get the blue gradient
atmosphere seam along the horizon familiar from real images shot from
orbit...  can anyone here help me further?

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar

Post a reply to this message