POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Earth view from orbit - media functions? : Re: Earth view from orbit - media functions? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:20:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Earth view from orbit - media functions?
From: Matt Giwer
Date: 27 Sep 2000 21:28:43
Message: <39D29ED6.DD19B9D0@ij.net>

> Hi Tracers!
>
> Currently I'm working on a not-too-large project, a view over Earth from
> an altitude of about 300 to 600 miles, with the sun not much above the
> horizon, just casting the first morning light on the surface before the
> viewer (at least finally; at the moment I would even be glad if it
> worked correctly with the sun overhead).
>
> As I still have dug somewhat into PoV 3.1, I think it would be doable
> only when placing a transparent (hollow!) outer atmosphere sphere around
> the solid Earth body (the atmosphere with a radius of 6.528 km compared
> to 6.378 km for the planet itself) and then filling this sphere with an
> interior/media, setting emission color and scattering etc.
>
> But whatever scattering mode I use, I never get the blue gradient
> atmosphere seam along the horizon familiar from real images shot from
> orbit...  can anyone here help me further?

	It does not scatter by color.

	But if you want to play with a good model, you need several layers of
atmosphere with different scattering by density. And the color
scattering when it exists is by density so you may be able to fake it by
making the upper layer a forced bluish scatter.

--
The last stand of the Brunen-Ghee.

	-- The Iron Webmaster, 5