POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Win32 PVMPOV Programmers Needed!! Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:22:15 EDT (-0400)
  Win32 PVMPOV Programmers Needed!! (Message 14 to 23 of 73)
From: Halbert
Subject: Re: Win32 PVMPOV Programmers Needed!!
Date: 27 Jun 2000 17:54:24
Message: <39592290@news.povray.org>
I bet the memory requirements would be alot more reasonable without the web
browser, but so many things (including the system itsself) use components of
IE, there is little that can be done about that. I Tripled my memory before
I setup Windows 2000. Linux doesn't have the interated web browser ( does
it?) or alot of other little gizmos and dohickeys hanging out in memory.
But when W2k does crash, it also recovers astoundingly well (at least it
seems so when your used to Windows 95).
I like Linux too, but it isn't yet universal enough for me to use it at
home.

> In povray.windows Halbert <hha### [at] capitalnet> wrote:
> : I think I have noticed an improvement to all my 3d applications like
Povray,
> : MegaPov, and the swarm off modeling tools I've been using. W2k is very
> : stable, me likey very much.
>
>   Still it requires a lot more resources than should be reasonable.
>   It seems that microsoft thinks "the higher the stability, the more
memory
> and other resources needs to be used" when it's more or less the other way
> around. IIRC the recommended amount of memory for Win2k is 128MB while the
> recommended amount of memory for Linux is something like 16MB.

Post a reply to this message

but no one in there right mind is going to run X with only 16mb of ram....

and you will see an improvement in rendering and such switching to w2k
since NT is a true pre-emptive multi-tasking system, where as win98 is only
cooporative....