POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : This year's most ARROGANT email Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:30:40 EDT (-0400)
  This year's most ARROGANT email (Message 86 to 95 of 105)
From: Ron Bieber
Subject: Re: Z - This year's most ARROGANT letter
Date: 9 Nov 1998 00:32:14
Message: <36467e5e.0@news.povray.org>
In South Chicago for example, 'over there' becomes 'over by dere'

Even in America we can't pick pronunciation ...

-- Ron
povray.org admin team wrote in message
<36053b2a.48950236@news.povray.org>...
>Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:
>
>>David Greaves wrote:
>>
>>> If you look at it, even the letter Z (pronounced zed of course)  is
arrogant.
>>> All those angles and straight lines.
>>
>>"Pronounced zed" ?
>
>Yep. The English way of saying the letter 'z' is 'zed'. Americans (and
American
>influenced countries) say 'zee'.
>
>There's a bunch of other stuff, too. Most of them relate to Americans
>'simplifying' words or sounds to make them either easier to pronounce, or
>easier to say. Hence colour becomes color, Aluminium becomes Aluminum, and
so
>forth.

Post a reply to this message

From: Ron Bieber
Date: 9 Nov 1998 00:33:29
Message: <36467ea9.0@news.povray.org>
Hell, Wisconsin people have asked me where the 'bubbler' is ... and I have
blown spit bubbles ..

How would I know that meant a drinking fountain?

-- Ron

Ken wrote in message <36054595.82F405B0@pacbell.net>...
>povray.org admin team wrote:
>
>> Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:

>> >"Pronounced zed" ?
>>
>> Yep. The English way of saying the letter 'z' is 'zed'. Americans (and
American
>> influenced countries) say 'zee'.
>>
>> There's a bunch of other stuff, too. Most of them relate to Americans
>> 'simplifying' words or sounds to make them either easier to pronounce, or
>> easier to say. Hence colour becomes color, Aluminium becomes Aluminum,
and so
>> forth.
>
>    I agree with what you say although the British are not
>immune from doing the same thing. Take the common
>expressions "telly" and "uni" for the correct pronounciation
>of television and university.
>    Either way it is no excuse for ridicule, calling it a progam bug,
>and taking up your time with such trivialities.
>
>Ken

Post a reply to this message