POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : Some mistake in reference 3.4.4.1.2 spotlight section Server Time
28 Mar 2024 18:41:25 EDT (-0400)
  Some mistake in reference 3.4.4.1.2 spotlight section (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: And
Subject: Some mistake in reference 3.4.4.1.2 spotlight section
Date: 19 Nov 2013 04:55:00
Message: <web.528b347ce5b41d77f9d479350@news.povray.org>
I found some probable mistake in POV-Ray reference document at spotlight
section:

1. The sentence which is just two column before the light intensity multiplier
diagram states that
"The values for the radius, and tightness parameters are half the opening angles
                                ^^^^^^^^^
 of the corresponding cones, both angles have to be smaller than 90 degrees."
which tightness should be replaced by falloff. Another flaw is that it say both
angles have to be smaller than 90 degrees but I saw POV-Ray 3.7 can give an
angle more than 90 degrees in that term.

2. The description for the forth diagram in this section "To give the tightness
value full control over the spotlight's appearance use radius 0 falloff 90. As
you can see from the figure below." should be correct. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think that is radius 90 falloff 90 for the diagram.

Post a reply to this message

> I found some probable mistake in POV-Ray reference document at spotlight
> section:
>
> 1. The sentence which is just two column before the light intensity multiplier
> diagram states that
> "The values for the radius, and tightness parameters are half the opening angles
>                                  ^^^^^^^^^
>   of the corresponding cones, both angles have to be smaller than 90 degrees."
> which tightness should be replaced by falloff.

yes I think this is just a typo ... i'll change it

> Another flaw is that it say both
> angles have to be smaller than 90 degrees but I saw POV-Ray 3.7 can give an
> angle more than 90 degrees in that term.

true enough angles greater than 90 degrees /are/ excepted ... i'm
wondering if /have/ in the above sentence ought to be /should/

> 2. The description for the forth diagram in this section "To give the tightness
> value full control over the spotlight's appearance use radius 0 falloff 90. As
> you can see from the figure below." should be correct. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> I think that is radius 90 falloff 90 for the diagram.

i played around with this (quickly) and it doesn't seem to make a
difference if it's 0 or 90

anyone else have a moment to add a bit of clarity before i decide whats
needs to be changed?

Post a reply to this message

On 11/19/2013 07:52 AM, James Holsenback wrote:
> i played around with this (quickly) and it doesn't seem to make a
> difference if it's 0 or 90

see p.b.images

Post a reply to this message