POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Read-only CVS/SVN Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:19:39 EDT (-0400)
  Read-only CVS/SVN (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Calvin
Subject: Read-only CVS/SVN
Date: 8 Feb 2007 17:45:00
Message: <web.45cba6bf835a4d60a42403c30@news.povray.org>
I know there's a long standing policy against it, but is it possible to
create read-only repositories for POVRAY and MORAY?

There might be some truly great contributions that could have been made in
the last 2 years while 3.7 has been in beta.

If it's a matter of computer or network resources, I'd be willing to donate
both.

Post a reply to this message

> I know there's a long standing policy against it, but is it possible to
> create read-only repositories for POVRAY and MORAY?
>
> There might be some truly great contributions that could have been made in
> the last 2 years while 3.7 has been in beta.

Hi Calvin,

As mentioned in http://www.povray.org/news/moray-announcement.php, we will
be making the beta codebase available in due course. We haven't decided
exactly how we will do this, but it is possible we could create a branch in
our revision control system (perforce) and provide access to that via HTTP
and/or perforce itself. If we go this route we will also consider providing
write access to some individuals.

regards,

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message

> > I know there's a long standing policy against it, but is it possible to
> > create read-only repositories for POVRAY and MORAY?
> >
> > There might be some truly great contributions that could have been made in
> > the last 2 years while 3.7 has been in beta.
>
> Hi Calvin,
>
> As mentioned in http://www.povray.org/news/moray-announcement.php, we will
> be making the beta codebase available in due course. We haven't decided
> exactly how we will do this, but it is possible we could create a branch in
> our revision control system (perforce) and provide access to that via HTTP
> and/or perforce itself. If we go this route we will also consider providing
> write access to some individuals.
>
> regards,
>
> -- Chris

I don't want to be too pushy, but any hope of this happening any time soon?

I'm very interested in porting the parallelizing code to Cell, and possibly also
to CUDA. Right now the only option seems to be to wait for 3.7 or reinvent the
wheels from a 3.6 base.

I know the real issue is policy, but again I'll offer the resources to help make
it available. If Perforce access is a limiter, there's always the Perforce to
SVN repository converter to simplify getting it out to us masses.

Post a reply to this message

> I'm very interested in porting the parallelizing code to Cell, and possibly also
> to CUDA.

Neither of that is feasible with either the 3.6 or 3.7 codebase. Or, putting
a "positive" spin on it: The work required would be exactly the same.

	Thorsten, POV-Team

Post a reply to this message