POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Read-only CVS/SVN : Re: Read-only CVS/SVN Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:33:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Read-only CVS/SVN
From: Calvin
Date: 14 Dec 2007 11:20:00
Message: <web.4762ac6d416be96e77a62f940@news.povray.org>
> Calvin wrote:
> > I'm very interested in porting the parallelizing code to Cell, and possibly also
> > to CUDA.
>
> Neither of that is feasible with either the 3.6 or 3.7 codebase. Or, putting
> a "positive" spin on it: The work required would be exactly the same.
>
>  Thorsten, POV-Team

To argue that that which has not been done before cannot be done is to argue
disbelief in the dignity of the human spirit :-)

Are you saying it's unfeasible because of the lack of double floating point
support, or is there some architectural reason? [Cell/SPU has doubles and the
soon-to-be-released G92/9800 have doubles]

(I obviously haven't seen the 3.7 source, but I don't see what would be
unfeasible from the 3.6 source. Please let me know what I've missed!)