POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Known Bugs 14 Jan 2002 Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:25:44 EDT (-0400)
  Known Bugs 14 Jan 2002 (Message 34 to 43 of 43)
From: R  Suzuki
Subject: Re: Known Bugs 14 Jan 2002
Date: 17 Jan 2002 05:44:35
Message: <3c46ab13$1@news.povray.org>
"Mike Williams" <mik### [at] nospamplease> wrote.
>>> Isosurface *disappears* at high resolution (fwd)
>>> http://news.povray.org/3bb0b351@news.povray.org
>>
>>Cannot duplicate.
>
>I can duplicate this (although the quick version that I wrote now runs
>to completion). The point at which the quick version collapsed into
>blankness has varied from beta to beta, and now manages to go all the
>way through. The original scene file posted by Warp still fails when
>rendered with the specified size and antialliassing.
>
>The question is whether this is a bug, or whether isosurfaces that use
>crackle can legitimately be expected to disappear.

This is not a bug.  That behavior is due to the wrong max_gradient value.

The function of the original scene file posted by Warp has extremely
large gradient values.  See the warning message.

Try the following function for the isosurface of that scene,

function{min(1,max(-0.5,(1+Blob_threshold)-Blob_threshold^Funki1(x,y,z)
          -Blob_threshold^Funki2(x,y,z)))}

The maximum gradient in the warning message is much lower than that of
the original function.  Then, it gives us better result.

R. Suzuki

Post a reply to this message

In article <yjd### [at] econymdemoncouk> , Mike Williams
<mik### [at] nospamplease>  wrote:

>>> Isosurface *disappears* at high resolution (fwd)
>>> http://news.povray.org/3bb0b351@news.povray.org
>>
>>Cannot duplicate.
>
> I can duplicate this (although the quick version that I wrote now runs
> to completion). The point at which the quick version collapsed into
> blankness has varied from beta to beta, and now manages to go all the
> way through. The original scene file posted by Warp still fails when
> rendered with the specified size and antialliassing.
>
> The question is whether this is a bug, or whether isosurfaces that use
> crackle can legitimately be expected to disappear.

Which has already been explained in the thread following the report.

I really don't see what is so difficult to understand about this not being a
bug.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg